Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicagoan Down Under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicagoan Down Under

Hi Everyone! My name is Robb and I am a Chicagoan who just migrated to Sydney, AUS this past January. When discussing the possible move with my then fiance she was quick to point out that if we move we wouldnt be able to get Smoque BBQ anymore! Smoque BBQ in Chicago, IL is my favorite BBQ joint by far. I moved into the neighborhood nearly 7 years ago and fell in love with Smoque's brisket in 2010. When i started dating my wife I was hesitant to take her to Smoque BBQ, i didnt want her to fall in love with the place like i did and risk us breaking up and running into each other all the time there!

Knowing that i probably wouldn't be able to get 'good' BBQ in Sydney i decided to try smoking meat on my own. I bought a WSM and have started smoking ribs and pork butt. Im working my way up to brisket but for now i am still several cooks away from beef, need to hone my technique to gain experience maintaining temps. I am grateful for this site, it has already helped so much with purchasing my WSM, tools, and meat.

Thanks again to all the site contributors, so far its been amazing and cant wait to dig deeper and learn even more.

Welcome Robb! We are glad you're here

Comment

Welcome robbpf! Grab yourself a nice thick chuck roast and treat it exactly as if it's a pork butt (except beef seasoning) temp, hold and all that. Make pulled beef. That will ease you into beef. Then once you've got that down, which will most likely be the very first time you try it since it's quite easy, you can do a brisket. You just don't hold it quite as long since you most likely want it sliceable and not shreddable. Use Meathead's Texas Brisket instructions, follow them to the letter the first time and you'll have great success. BUY A GOOD QUALITY BRISKET though, don't settle for cheap (whatever Au's version of Select is), as Meathead's says the quality of brisket coming out of the cooker is very dependent on the quality going in. Try to get top tier, the equiv of USDA's Prime or upper Choice, whatever that would be there.

Since this is one of your first posts, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!
      Last edited by Huskee; April 9, 2015, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Hello robb. Welcome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here