Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Everybody!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marauderer
    replied
    Ya know when you make a decision it will be based on all the data you had up until the purchase. Many times within 24 hrs after a purchase new information comes available that would have effected my decision. Did I make a bad decision? No, and maybe the other unit cost a little less or had another feature that made it a bit better but, I have never regretted a decision I made on a given date and time. That is how life's journey is. Now go cook something and enjoy it!!

Leave a comment:

• Rick13175
    commented on 's reply
    I hadn't--I keep thinking that this is going to be a temporary thing--3 years later still saying the same thing. I think a lot of it is that I have a hard time forking over a lot of cash for a grill or smoker and the other part is that if I do, I want to have researched the daylights out of it beforehand.

• Marauderer
    replied
    Have you considered getting a water tray to put over the lit burner and closing the lid completely? I use a water tray to keep the moister up but still get a good bark on my butts and ribs

Leave a comment:

• Rick13175
    commented on 's reply
    Right now I use my old Sunbeam gasser to do some light smoking. I get the grill good and hot then turn off the right burner and turn the left burner nearly off. I put wood chips in foil, poke some holes in it and throw the foil over my left burner. I then use a piece of wood to prop the lid just a bit and this helps to keep my temp right around 225. I put the food over the unlit right burner--Not the best, but it works for now.

• Marauderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Rick13175 View Post
    Maurauderer, I am still very much inclined towards the Rec Tec. There are others out there that have some desirable features, but none seem to have all of the qualities that this grill/smoker offers--especially for the price. As soon as I have enough Franklin's saved up, I intend to make the purchase.
    I am in the final throws of getting my Weber Gasser to smoke to my standards. Check out the LINK.

If it doesn't work I am going to get the Rec Tec. I believe they are made in Georgia so I will go and pick it up from the factory if I get one. I don't have a lot of room on my deck and have to be careful so the floor plan doesn't get to cluttered.

Leave a comment:

• Rick13175
    replied
    Thanks to everyone for the welcome--sorry to take so long to reply. I was on a motorcycle trip to Glacier National Park last week and I avoided Internet and email for the entire week. If you folks have not done any traveling into the Northwest portion of Montana, I highly recommend it. The sheer beauty of that state is beyond words.

Maurauderer, I am still very much inclined towards the Rec Tec. There are others out there that have some desirable features, but none seem to have all of the qualities that this grill/smoker offers--especially for the price. As soon as I have enough Franklin's saved up, I intend to make the purchase.

Leave a comment:

• SlowRollin'
    replied
    Welcome

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Yo Rick WELCOME

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    So Rick are you still leaning towards the Rec Tec? I am looking at a Pellet smoker and that is one that I am considering. Your thoughts on the Rec Tec??

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Welcome Rick! The Rec Tec is a great smoker.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    I hear Phil in my head when this happens: "You yuppies have spent too long in the subdivision"

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post

This is one of the best things I have picked up from this site. I was on a trip and someone asked me to put some burgers on the grill. I didn't have a thermometer with me and there wasn't one on the grill so I was pretty lost. I did a decent job just timing it, but with no idea how hot the coals were it was just a guess. I am lost without my thermometer.
    Too funny. Sometimes we get so used to our toys...I mean tools... that when they're absent we have to resort to pre-thermometer know how. I can do burgers ok without therms, but going to chicken pieces scares me. I don't want undercooked or dried out chicken...not after having it perfect for so long.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Originally posted by Rick13175 View Post
    This site has taught me to use thermometers like a doctor uses a stethoscope
    This is one of the best things I have picked up from this site. I was on a trip and someone asked me to put some burgers on the grill. I didn't have a thermometer with me and there wasn't one on the grill so I was pretty lost. I did a decent job just timing it, but with no idea how hot the coals were it was just a guess. I am lost without my thermometer.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    Welcome Rick, I look forward to yuour posting and comments.

Barry

Leave a comment:

• BBQLipscken
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit, Rick!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here