Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Everybody!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Everybody!!

I've been following and advocating this site for several years now. There is not a week that goes by that I'm not telling someone about or directing them to this site for equipment reviews or recipes. I am excited about being a member of the community. I was born and raised in the South not terribly far from where Meathead hails from. I don't have a fancy grill or smoker (yet), been making do with an old Sunbeam gas grill that my folks bought for my wife and I as a housewarming gift 15 years ago. This site has taught me to use thermometers like a doctor uses a stethoscope--they sure take the guess work out of producing outstanding meals time-after-time. I'm able to do some light smoking on the old grill and there's nothing like a slab of slow-cooked ribs. I appreciate the way we did things in the South: pressure cooking, canning, sausage making, and making tasty meals out of what was then, cheap ingredients (because we had to). I, like most folks that use a BBQ grill, thought I was pretty decent at making some good meals. This site has made me realize that I was a small fish in a big pond. I still have a very long way to go, but it sure is nice to be able to sit and talk with professional BBQ folks and talk about the "stall," maillard reaction, and reverse sear. Hoping to get enough pennies saved up to upgrade my equipment. For a long time I thought that I wanted to get the Weber EP330, but I believe that the Rec Tec may prove to be the big purchase. Looking forward to many more years of association with this site and the fine folks who subscribe to it. When I get some time, I will make an attempt at a better signature and photo. Cheers!

Welcome to the Pit, Rick!

Comment

Welcome Rick, I look forward to yuour posting and comments.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Rick13175 View Post
        This site has taught me to use thermometers like a doctor uses a stethoscope
        This is one of the best things I have picked up from this site. I was on a trip and someone asked me to put some burgers on the grill. I didn't have a thermometer with me and there wasn't one on the grill so I was pretty lost. I did a decent job just timing it, but with no idea how hot the coals were it was just a guess. I am lost without my thermometer.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

This is one of the best things I have picked up from this site. I was on a trip and someone asked me to put some burgers on the grill. I didn't have a thermometer with me and there wasn't one on the grill so I was pretty lost. I did a decent job just timing it, but with no idea how hot the coals were it was just a guess. I am lost without my thermometer.
          Too funny. Sometimes we get so used to our toys...I mean tools... that when they're absent we have to resort to pre-thermometer know how. I can do burgers ok without therms, but going to chicken pieces scares me. I don't want undercooked or dried out chicken...not after having it perfect for so long.

Comment

I hear Phil in my head when this happens: "You yuppies have spent too long in the subdivision"

Comment

Welcome Rick! The Rec Tec is a great smoker.

Comment

So Rick are you still leaning towards the Rec Tec? I am looking at a Pellet smoker and that is one that I am considering. Your thoughts on the Rec Tec??

Comment

Yo Rick WELCOME

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the welcome--sorry to take so long to reply. I was on a motorcycle trip to Glacier National Park last week and I avoided Internet and email for the entire week. If you folks have not done any traveling into the Northwest portion of Montana, I highly recommend it. The sheer beauty of that state is beyond words.

Maurauderer, I am still very much inclined towards the Rec Tec. There are others out there that have some desirable features, but none seem to have all of the qualities that this grill/smoker offers--especially for the price. As soon as I have enough Franklin's saved up, I intend to make the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick13175 View Post
                        Maurauderer, I am still very much inclined towards the Rec Tec. There are others out there that have some desirable features, but none seem to have all of the qualities that this grill/smoker offers--especially for the price. As soon as I have enough Franklin's saved up, I intend to make the purchase.
                        I am in the final throws of getting my Weber Gasser to smoke to my standards. Check out the LINK.

If it doesn't work I am going to get the Rec Tec. I believe they are made in Georgia so I will go and pick it up from the factory if I get one. I don't have a lot of room on my deck and have to be careful so the floor plan doesn't get to cluttered.

Comment

• Rick13175
                          Rick13175 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Right now I use my old Sunbeam gasser to do some light smoking. I get the grill good and hot then turn off the right burner and turn the left burner nearly off. I put wood chips in foil, poke some holes in it and throw the foil over my left burner. I then use a piece of wood to prop the lid just a bit and this helps to keep my temp right around 225. I put the food over the unlit right burner--Not the best, but it works for now.

Have you considered getting a water tray to put over the lit burner and closing the lid completely? I use a water tray to keep the moister up but still get a good bark on my butts and ribs

Comment

• Rick13175
                          Rick13175 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I hadn't--I keep thinking that this is going to be a temporary thing--3 years later still saying the same thing. I think a lot of it is that I have a hard time forking over a lot of cash for a grill or smoker and the other part is that if I do, I want to have researched the daylights out of it beforehand.

Ya know when you make a decision it will be based on all the data you had up until the purchase. Many times within 24 hrs after a purchase new information comes available that would have effected my decision. Did I make a bad decision? No, and maybe the other unit cost a little less or had another feature that made it a bit better but, I have never regretted a decision I made on a given date and time. That is how life's journey is. Now go cook something and enjoy it!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here