Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from NE Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from NE Oklahoma

I'm just getting started and am enjoying learning about the intricacies of smoking/grilling meat! I have grilled burgers and chicken but that's about the extent. I was given an electric smoker and have smoked a pork butt.

I was drawn to the site after googling corned beef after my wife asked my a question about it. I LOVE the thought of making my own corned beef and the Reuben is my favorite sandwich of all time! My next endeavor is corned beef, and I look forward to the help and expertise of this site. I hope to be able to pass on what I learn to others too.

Also going to be looking for a new grill as my current one is on it's last leg and I want to get something new instead of repairing it. So, with that, I would gladly accept any suggestions on makes models etc... I prefer gas b/c it's easier but also like the taste of charcoal more.

Welcome and thanks for the support!!

What is your budget for the grill?

I recently made my own pastrami using the recipe on this site. Man that stuff is gooooooood

Comment

KB welcome to The Pit! We're glad you're here. I just put 12 lbs of brisket in the fridge to cure for the next week. I hope to have a LOT of pastrami by mid month. You should really try the pastrami recipe, whether you cure your own meat or buy store bought. MH himself has said it might be the best recipe on the whole site, and I have to agree.

"What grill to get" is a very loaded question around here. Start by telling us your budget, desire fuel, what you plan to cook on it, and how many folks you plan on feeding. We'll be happy to point you in several directions!

Comment

Good points and very needed details I missed. My budget is roughly up to $500ish. I think I'll keep it with the propane for now and look into the charcoal later. I am looking to grill steaks, chops, fish, burgers, along with some other things I've had at friend/relatives like potatos and corn on the cob. Just a general well rounded grill. My typical food audience will be 4-5 people.

Comment

here is a list of gas, small and medium. I make it point to buy and accept ANYTHING that says "Weber" on it. Not that Char-Broil et al. don't make some nice stuff as well.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment..._value%5B%5D=2
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; April 5, 2015, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit killerbrew ! I am a fan of the cheaper CharBroil Tru Infrared, particularly the Gourmet series, formerly known as Red. I like the trough(s) under the grates, which allow you to put wood chunks or chips in there and completely separate food from flame. The large 4 burner model is $450, but it's big. I have the 2 burner "patio" model, and I love it but I don't use it much anymore. They're terrible in cold windy weather. I've been working with wood and charcoal more the last few years.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

No help on the gasser, but welcome all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!
                Thanks. I actually got here from there and completely forgot to go back.

_John_ thanks!

Comment

Ok. Ended up getting a Char-Broil Commercial series 4 burner. After reading on the site about the recommended area needed for the amount of people I would be cooking for and then the 2 zone method. I wasn't going to be able to get a Weber that would fit both my needs and my budget. I also decided against getting the TRU infrared and opted to get some GrillGrates. After reading about them I LOVE the idea. And I couldn't find anything bad about them.

Thank you for the help and suggestions!

Comment

Awesome. My pastor has that big Char-Broil. You will love the GrillGrates.

Comment

Originally posted by killerbrew View Post
                      Ok. Ended up getting a Char-Broil Commercial series 4 burner. After reading on the site about the recommended area needed for the amount of people I would be cooking for and then the 2 zone method. I wasn't going to be able to get a Weber that would fit both my needs and my budget. I also decided against getting the TRU infrared and opted to get some GrillGrates. After reading about them I LOVE the idea. And I couldn't find anything bad about them.

Thank you for the help and suggestions!
                      killerbrew perhaps some bragging pics are in order??

Comment

I get it Huskee, this is a pop quiz to make sure I did the homework! LOL!

More pics when the GrillGrates arrive. I did't get one of the nice fancy cover b/c I'm about to do some grillin' I'll get that next time too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150414_180957.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	77955

Comment

Beauty!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here