Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member - What's your Go To Cook that wins 'em over every time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member - What's your Go To Cook that wins 'em over every time?

Hi All,

New member. Already got some fantastic advice from the community on my first pork butt cook. Thanks for all the great stuff you all share.

Currently slinging Q with:
    Rec Tec 590 (Stampede) Pellet Grill
    DCS 27" Propane Grill

The Rec Tec is brand new and I'm looking for ideas for my next cook. Question:

What's your Go To cook on a smoker or pellet grill. What wins every time? Blows 'em away. Makes you look like a grilling genius, etc.

Please share.

Thanks much!
    -AJ

Welcome to The Pit from Pensacola FL. Chuck roasts smoked with my Slow 'N Sear in the Weber kettle, or on my SnS Kamado is my most liked cook. Many people have never had smoked chuckies and my family and neighbors love 'em!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      ajgrills Mine are usually around 3 lbs and I cook them like a brisket using my favorite beef rub, around 225-250 until probe tender. I shred them.
      Last edited by fuzzydaddy; October 25, 2019, 04:33 AM.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      ajgrills no reverse sear. You smoke a chuck roast just like a butt. There are two recipes on the free side of the site - one for sliced, and one for pulled chuck roast. I like it pulled, and use Montreal steak as my rub most of the time.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I did one over the weekend on a Weber kettle. It was about 3 1/4 pounds. I dry brined it fro a couple hours, seasoned with pepper, garlic, onion powder, and a little smoke paprika. Smoked for maybe 6 hours or so, plus or minus, (I forget exactly, went to the bar while it was on and don't remember exactly when I took it off). Came out great, wife says it was one of the better things I've smoked. (no searing involved)

Welcome from Chico, CA. I have been doing smoked tri-tips forever. Most people are used to getting grilled tri-tips or SV'd and grilled. I continue to smoke them and really don't bother with temp. 4 hrs at 210-220 with a pre-sear. I may pull a little early or even a little later but it is all based on feel. I really don't know if my method is better than anyone else's but it is different and that is why it is a hit.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey - you are invited!

• ajgrills
      ajgrills commented
      Editing a comment
      I love Tri-tip. Are you saying sear off, and then throw on smoker at 210-220 at 400 and don't look at temps at all? Recently reverse seared in oven at 225 and finished off at in-laws later on grill for a reverse sear and had good results.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      ajgrills - What you are asking is what I do. I salt and pepper two days in advance. I put a rub on about an hour before cooking. I use my Santa Maria to quick sear all sides - just enough to get grill marks (1-2 minutes, top, bottom, side and top each). I put it in the smoker, not allowing it to go above 225 for 3.5 - 4 hrs. Cambro for 1-2 hrs. Slice really thin.

Welcome from the California Delta.
    Brisket with pecan/cherry pellets on the Yoder or reverse seared tri tips with lump and mesquite chips on the Klose grill

Comment

• ajgrills
      ajgrills commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Brisket is on the radar. But my deep dark secret is that I've never had a brisket I liked, including from some top notch pit masters. I will tray and prove myself wrong. Appreciate any tips!

• GirlGrilling
      GirlGrilling commented
      Editing a comment
      ajgrills, I just have to guess — forgive me, please, but I must — and I say this with all due respect: if you’ve never had a brisket you liked, you’ve never had a home-cooked smoked point. Once you do, that’ll be your "go-to." Good luck, and welcome.

Huntington Beach welcomes you.

Chicken thighs with crunchy skin, tri tip, ribs, chuck roasts and smoked meatballs.

all of this on my kettles/SnS and Blackstone.

But the ultimate are my scratch burgers.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Love me some meatballs. Mudkat I’m sure you ground some meat they would be equally good. I just love them though. Unlimited flavors, breads, produce, pickle types, heat, types of cooks and types of meat etc.. sorry, I got lost there.

• ajgrills
      ajgrills commented
      Editing a comment
      1) Please, please share your crunchy skin chicken thigh technique. Love thighs.

2) Please, please, please (ad infinitum) share your burger recipe/technique. Are you grinding your own? What's your blend? Etc. God bless a good burger.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      ajgrills for chicken season it to your mood, crank her up (350° at least) or so and let’em rip. I use my kettle with the SnS so it just goes wide open. I do all kinds of stuff with burgers grinds. No one recipe.

Tri-tip reverse seared to 140. And welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois​​​​​​!

Comment

• ajgrills
      ajgrills commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, OGB! Now, tell me why 140 is your number, and at what temp do you pull it off the low cook, before searing to get to 140? That part is the hardest to calculate I find. I want a med-rare middle, but the ends more med to med well so I can please everyone.

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      I pull when the center is between 122-125 then sear. My wife likes meat at the well done stage. She gets the ends. I get the thicker middles. only 2 of us so there are always leftovers, I have a large meat slicer so the leftovers get shaved for cold deli style sandwiches. Also like to cook a cheesesteak type sandwich from thin slices.

Welcome from the mountains of NC. If you can perfect a turkey you have arrived. The breast has to be 155 and the thighs 165 before taking it off. The right amount of seasoning and the right smoke is also important. If you go to far you can over cook and it is dry, it to low botulism comes into play. I cook a 16-17lb one on my Weber kettle.

Comment

• ajgrills
      ajgrills commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Love Turkey. For the last few years I spatchcock and pull when the breast the hits 155 and let carryover do the rest. I cook at 425. I do a 4 day dry brine (Alton Brown method) and have had good results. This will be my first year on the smoker.

chicken parts, bratwurst, or smash burgers. I really don't think I have a win them resume. I think I can nail a Flank steak with a chimichurri sauce and fresh tortillas. Really all I do is serve strong cocktails, and good music, the rest is smoke and mirrors.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 24, 2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• ajgrills
      ajgrills commented
      Editing a comment
      God bless strong cocktails and chimichurri. I haven't done flank on the smoker yet, usually hit it straight on the gas grill. What's your preferred method?

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      Strong cocktails...good music... some food - Got it! Even I can get this right.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 I don't make or play the music. That would scare everyone away, I have 4 guitars and not one of them makes me sound like I can play music. They all must be broken. ajgrills, no smoking of the Flank, that is a hot and fast cook.

Welcome to the pit! I don't have a go to yet. I am still learning them all. Chuck roasts are probably my go to if cookiing for others.

The best cook I ever did was an 8 lb waygu brisket supplied by my BIL. It never made the plate. We stood around the fire and ate it right off the board. Know I know what all the waygu fuss is about.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. On my pellet smoker my two outstanding dishes are simple but crowd pleasing around these parts. The first is Baltimore Pit Beef with Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow Crust, and the other is Kalua Pork a la Harry Soo. If I want to hit it out of the park for a gathering, I have to agree with mountainsmoker that a turkey done right always pleases.

Comment

The only thing that brings em running here is Uber eats....
        ....they're my family.... and I'm stuck with em….

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I was going to answer Carry out pizza, but, tried to sound cool instead.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Same old story, meat on smoker needs another 20-30 mins....we're hungry now and out comes the phones....
          I loose my mind and no one will talk to me for who knows how long.
          Actually not a bad deal!!!!

Pork belly burnt ends. Hard to mess up and always delicious!

Comment

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Meatloaf. No one is expecting that to be so good, so it opens eyes.

In that same vein, I keep Springbank Scotch around. Many people still haven't had good Scotch, many think Scotch tastes like turpentine or something. Springbank is very mild and smooth, a good introduction for them. Have had many converts!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I am a fan of scotch. well, a lot of scotch, just not the peaty stuff. but, if you serve good scotch. the rest does not matter.

• ajgrills
            ajgrills commented
            Editing a comment
            My first cook on the Rec Tec was a bacon wrapped meatloaf. Pretty solid, but the real discovery was the bacon with a bourbon ketchup glaze in this case. I'll put some scotch on the bacon next time for good measure!

Welcome from Minnesota! My favorite is tri tip or pork tenderloin. Pick something you like to eat and cook it!

Comment

• ajgrills
            ajgrills commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Skip. Love tri-tip. Have done one. Will do more. Reverse sear effect on a smoker makes great tri-tip so far.

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            "Pick something you like to eat and cook it! "

Good advice, Skip.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here