Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Joined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it’s time to try a different cooker? PBC also known as Pit Barrel Cooker is an amazing brisket cooker among other things!

Comment

• GirlGrilling
      GirlGrilling commented
      Editing a comment
      Starting to lean in that direction — just didn’t want to come right out and say so. Will give different pellets a try first, though. Thanks for the PBC tip.

Welcome from Iowa.

I will say that sometimes you do just get a bad piece of meat. I've cooked several briskets on my pellet grills and pretty much follow the same technique every time and most of them turn out pretty good, but occasionally I'll get a complete dry crumbly dud even though when I checked it 30 minutes earlier it was far from probe tender.

I wouldn't go back to Traeger pellets myself. I'm a huge fan of CookinPellets. They produce the cleanest burn and most smoke flavor of the brands I've tried. I use mostly their 100% Hickory, but occasionally their perfect mix too. Most brands are probably just fine, I've just had the most consistency from the CookinPellets and love having bags with little to no dust in them. If you have a Costco close, maybe pick up a prime to try before going after that Wagyu.

Comment

• GirlGrilling
      GirlGrilling commented
      Editing a comment
      Hadn’t heard of those before. Thanks. What pellet grill are you cooking on? Thx.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m on a Camp Chef at the moment, but have had 3 Traegers, a Green Mountain, and a Memphis in the past. I plan to get a Weber when it comes out.

• GirlGrilling
      GirlGrilling commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Glitchy. Have seen several recommendations for CookinPellets. Will order. Please don’t worry about that sweet Wagyu brisket in my freezer, even though it’s sending me the Siren’s song. Will cook a prime packer for the first, second, and maybe third time — on different pellets — before I hit that Wagyu. It hit my wallet pretty hard & I forgot to peel the label off (sometimes I use a Sharpie) before my frugal spouse caught a glimpse of the sticker price. Derp.

Welcome from northern Indiana.

I won't be much help with your pellet smoker quest as I have only a Weber Kettle grill for charcoal and a Charbroil gas grill. But I do love a good brisket and have managed a pretty good one on my Weber.

Comment

• GirlGrilling
      GirlGrilling commented
      Editing a comment
      Long and slow cook on charcoal requires magic, infinite patience, and immense TLC, at least in my book. So kudos and congrats to you! I’m jealous.

Welcome to The Pit from Madison, WI

Comment

Welcome from Oregon! I just got a hand-me-down Traeger so I am unable to give any new advice, other then the pellets definitely are a very subtle smokiness when compared to my Weber Kettle.

Comment

• GirlGrilling
        GirlGrilling commented
        Editing a comment
        What model is your hand-me-down? I think you’ll love it if it’s not the old, small discontinued one that gets mad every four hours. Good luck!

GirlGrilling I wouldn't go changing out things on your RT700 - that's one expensive smoker! I would just maybe start cooks a little lower (180 to 200) for maybe an hour, then go to 225F for the rest of the smoke. Also, try different pellets. The pellet smoke should be pleasant. I love the smell of charcoal and hickory or fruit wood when I am smoking. Check out B&B, BBQr's Delight, and other brands. Are you using pellets you bought from Rectec in a bundle?

As far as charcoal requiring a lot of work and patience... I'm finding it not to be so much. My old offset is a lot of work, but my Weber Performer 22" kettle with the Slow 'N Sear accessory and a PartyQ fan controller I use sometimes can smoke at stable temperatures for 12 hours on about 7 pounds of charcoal and a few wood chunks. The main issue is capacity, which has me considering other charcoal smokers - most likely a Weber Smokey Mountain or Pitbarrel Cooker. For a long time I was thinking pellet, but the kettle+SnS+PartyQ running at a stable temp for 12 hours without touching is about as long as I would get with a lot of pellet smokers (ok, I know your RT700 has a 40 pound hopper, but most don't).
      Last edited by jfmorris; October 28, 2019, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• GirlGrilling
        GirlGrilling commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris, Thanks. No, I won’t be changing anything on this Bull EXCEPT pellets (yes, using pellets from RecTec "bundle" — alder. Don’t like ‘em one bit. White, billowy, acrid). Have tried starting out lower & then moving up in temp — problem not solved: still acrid. So pellet change for now. Then maybe mod for an original controller vs. PID. But if I don’t bond w/this thing soon, will sell while still new & cut my losses. It’s been a big disappointment; 40lb hopper provides NO advantage here!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        GirlGrilling I am sure you will find some pellets that you like. Not sure where you are located, but here, Academy sells the B&B pellets, which are supposedly made by BBQr's Delight. I would try those if you have Academy nearby. CandySueQ works for BBQr's Delight and uses their pellets as an award winner on the competition trail, and is currently president of the Kansas City BBQ Society. So it is certainly possible to have pellets that are not acrid and producing a taste you don't like.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        If I had a pellet rig, the 40# B&B Competition Blend for $19.99 at Academy seems like a really good deal.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here