Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member from Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member from Oklahoma

Hello, coming from an hour from Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I have a Large offset smoker, that I have had for a few years. My dad and I built it a few years ago, we did not know what we were doing and could not keep a proper fire in it due to the dimensions of the chimney, wood rack, and air vents. A few months ago I decided to research how to do one online(found a calculator), and converted it into a reverse flow smoker, and have all of it setup much better now.

I've been using a cheap propane smoker for the last few years, and now that I have this I don't even turn it on, since I have my large smoker setup now.

I mostly cook Pork butt, chicken, and sometimes ribs, just due to the cost. Brisket is out of my budget for a few years.

I have a great local butcher that seems to have an upper teir of choice beef, everywhere else choice just doesn't get as tender and tasty.

Currently, I am planning to experiment with cooking pork butt at a higher temp, and getting better at how to tell when it is done. Recently I have been learning that the internal meat temp may give a hint as to if it is close to done, but it does not tell you.

Anyway, it has been great reading what the Pit forums have to offer.

Welcome to the Pit hiddenforce. Always glad to have another stick burner here 😎
    Last edited by DWCowles; April 1, 2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Welcome from NW Arkansas! I have a PBC and cook butts regularly at 275-300 with no complaints. Hope you guys are avoiding these tornadoes, brother in law just outside more seems to be spending plenty of time in his shelter.

Comment

• hiddenforce
        hiddenforce commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, I'll probably try at 250-260 at first, just to make sure I am managing my fire well. Do you know if there a a minimum size of pork butt you should work with if you are cooking hotter? Thanks for the info.

All of the tornado's have been far enough north of me that I didn't have to bother with a shelter so far. Knock on wood.

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        No minimum size in my experience, my chunks are typically 4-10 pounds. Personally I think the heat required to get to temp is of secondary importance, I think how long it stays in the fat melting range is most important. 225 keeps it there longer just because that's how heat works, but there is no reason you can't get it there faster and then do what I do which is wrap and cambro it for a couple hours. Outside of burning some rub I wouldn't hesitate cooking at even 400, I would just let it rest longer.

welcome aboard!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here