Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new member hello from California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new member hello from California

Hello,

My name is Nathaniel, 36 married with two kids (newborn boy and 1.5 yr old girl) I live in Los Angeles by way of Tampa Florida.

My wife and I bought a large Big Green Egg (delivering tomorrow morning) I have been eagerly reading the site out of excitement for the pending delivery. I am going to play hooky from work tomorrow and try to make the Last Meal Ribs!

Other than cooking the occasional steak or burger on a basic grill over the years I am fairly new to this world, and don't know a ton about basic cooking (other than PBJ) and even less about smoking & grilling but am very eager to learn!

I was planning on following the Last Meal Ribs recipe tomorrow using baby back ribs. Any common rookie mistakes or things I should do differently since I will be doing it on the Big Green Egg?

A few stupid questions

Will I need to put more charcoal/smoking wood in mid cook on that long of a cook? I didn't buy the grill lifter so wasn't quite sure how I would do that mid cook safely! Maybe it will be clearer once I actually have the Egg

I will only have the thermometer on the BGE - I read that it's easy to make it too hot, any tips for keeping low and slow

How long do you let smoke/flame go before adding the meat so that you don't get the nasty beginning smoke on it?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Nate

Greetings from South Africa.
    Help will be along shortly.

Comment

Welcome from the Delta.
      Strongly suggest you get at least an instant read digital therm soon to check for when your food is ready to take off. And some welders gloves to add coals as needed. Someone knowledgeable of Komado grills will chime in soon I'm sure.

Comment

Welcome from the Fort... mind you that you are on a wonderfully slippery slope. Enjoy!!!

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC and enjoy the ride.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Nate. I don't have a BGE, but from what I read, you should not have to add charcoal on a rib cook. I'm sure $$ is tight with two small kids, but you do need at least a digital thermo as mentioned above. Whatever you get, please check it in boiling water for accuracy. It should be very close to the boiling point at your elevation.

Also, you will need a leave in digital thermo when you can afford it. Here are links to two inexpensive but good units:

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Comment

• HotHand
              HotHand commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome- thanks for the info Ron

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              The Dot is good. I have 3.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, Nathaniel ...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! The POP and the DOT from Thermoworks are very good and fairly inexpensive. As Ron said.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! I’ve been cooking on a large Big Green Egg for going on ten years. I am assuming you have a platesetter or what they now call a eggconvector to diffuse the heat. Correct me if I am wrong. There are different ways to do this but this is how I learned it.

1. Fill the firebox up to the fire ring beginning with a bottom layer of large lump charcoal, filled in with a medium layer, and completely with small.

2 Bury a lighter square on edge in the center of the charcoal and light each of the two corners. Close the dome and open the bottom vent and top vent wide open letting the lighter square completely burn ( about 10 minutes) when the dome gets to 225 close the bottom vent to about 1/4” and adjust the top vent until the Egg holds steady at 225.

3. Once the Egg is holding steady at 225 put a fist size chunk of wood of your choice of the center fire, place the diffuser in legs up and the grill. Put the ribs on and expect them to take about 5 hours.

4. To test for being done use the bend test or the toothpick test.

Comment

• HotHand
                    HotHand commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

• HotHand
                    HotHand commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In the middle of my first cook. The egg got above 225 very quickly after closing the dome. I currently have both vents almost shut. Just a very small crack and still closer to 300 than 225. Just rolling with it and gonna see how it goes

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HotHand the fire probably got too large before you started adjusting your vents. Once you overshoot your target it can take a very long time before it returns to target. I think the ribs will turn out fine cooked at 300, but they will probably finish in 4 hours instead of 5.

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Orange County!

I have not had a BGE for many years. I never got very good with it.

But I think that the advice you got from LA Pork Butt and others is really solid.

Goiod luck and let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas! I don’t have a BGE, however, I agree that a good thermometer is a worthy investment and would recommend an instant read one and another that can be inserted into the meat for the duration of the cook. Thermoworks makes excellent thermometers.

Comment

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. It’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, you can change it by simply visiting https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

We look forward to hearing from you! Thank you for your support, we really appreciate it!

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here