Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Utah

Checking in here from Utah.

I've been using amazingribs.com for a long, long time. I distinctly remember listening to Meathead being interviewed on NPR about 4-5 years ago as well! Pretty cool serendipity.

I've gone through a two electric smokers in the past 10 years. They're awesome in many ways. These days though, my bradley sits idle as I maybe got a little too obsessed with my Weber Master Touch (which I picked up because I just wanted an affordable grill right now when I moved into a new house but didn't have everything else delivered yet from a cross-country move).

Smoking some amazing ribs right now as a matter of fact.

By the way...the pork chop recipe here changed my perspective on pork chops (grew up eating paper thing, shoe leather pork chops). They are an absolute favorite in my family. If you have not tried them, TRY THEM IMMEDIATELY. I have to buy a loin and cut them myself, as we like 'em about 1.5" thick.
    Last edited by ianschenck; September 16, 2019, 04:14 PM.

Welcome to the Pit! Costco has nice pork loin. We cut chops and roasts out of them. Yum Yum!

Comment

Welcome from So Cal. I'll be up there in three weeks. I have 4 kids in Lehi/Eagle Mountain.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta

Comment

Welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome from North Florida. I cooked some pork loin Saturday evening!

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, Cousin Jim! My screen name is "mrteddyprincess" but my real name is Brian White. My branch of the White family came from the moonshiner region of Apalachia. Are you a descendent of the classier side of the Whites? ☺ Jim White

• Jim White
              Jim White commented
              Editing a comment
              We have a classier side? Who knew?

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, I was just speculating that there might be a classier side to our family. I've never actually met them :-)

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you. I like pork chops. I would welcome those too!

As as long as I’ve been around this place I’m don’t recall making the pork chops.

Thank you you for that.

Comment

Welcome and enjoy! And enjoy those ribs!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Ian.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

• ianschenck
                      ianschenck commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi,

Want to ask you as someone who also lives higher up. As an ex-chemist (reform is possible), I constantly wonder about the effect of altitude on BBQ. My water boils about 8 degrees F lower than these lucky southerners. I would love to blame certain...problems...on altitude. My bbq was better on the east coast. Wondering if that change in boiling point is something anyone else has noticed.

• mountainsmoker
                      mountainsmoker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ian there are several things working at altitude. Most noticeable in large pieces the stall will take longer because of that lower boiling point. To fight this raise the temp you smoke your meat, I cook mine at 275-300. It also helps to raise your temp for all your outdoor cooks are normally lower and you may have an upslope breeze. This summer it was 90 in town and 80 at the house for example. Your in a new world so keep a notebook of your cooks
                      Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 16, 2019, 09:14 PM.

Ditto on the thick pork chops. It’s how I do em. And ditto on the thin pieces of cardboard I used to get when I was a kid. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory! Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC. I am going to go back up and reply on your question on cooking at altitude.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here