Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Yall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Yall

Hi yall, Rob Vantreese here from Largo Florida. Joined last week on Friday and love what I am seeing and reading. I now know what the stall period is when cooking large meats like butts and brisket, I have seen this for years but just accepted the fact that it happens every time so when the meat gets to about 150 or so I know it would take around 3 to 4 hours to get to 165. The funny thing is I have always called it the stall period or 150 beer break and it was time for a beer or 3 or 4, well maybe 6 from time to time.

Born and raised in Houston Texas moved to Fl in 1984. I am a retired Microsoft engineer and own my own business in the home/office automation industry. My dad was from Abilene Texas and my mom was from Lafayette Louisiana heart of Cajun country so cooking, barbecuing, grilling, and smoking has been in my blood sense birth. My wife and I cook on one of our grills at least 5 days out of the week weather permitting. My grills are as follows: CharGriller Pro with firebox and is one of the hardest cookers on the planet to keep a steady temperature but I mastered it, I have replaced the firebox 3 times over the years and the last time I had to weld a half moon shaped bracket to it so I could bolt the new firebox on. Help is on the way for that old smoker; my new Lang 48 deluxe will be here this week. My small grill is a Weber Q series and my pride and joy is a 40 year old Charbroil grill with a tempered glass front that I only use for rotisserie these days.

And thanks to Meathead and Dr. Greg Blonder for explaining the phenomenon called “the stall” which I coined the 150 beer break years ago. Evaporative Cooling who-da ever thunk it, I’ll still refer to it as the 150 beer break only now I can amaze my friends by explaining Evaporative Cooling while drinking beer.

"150 Beer Break" I like it! Although truth be told I'm usually already having one by then. But oh well, if I have to crack another so be it.

Welcome to The Pit Rob! We're glad to have you here. Great job on your signature! When you get a minute check out the picture posting instructions in the Welcome channel, this will help you to post larger pictures we can see without having to click thumbnails. It helps with the flow of things a little better around here.

Again, welcome and thanks for the support.

Comment

• crvan
      crvan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome Aaron, I did read picture posting instructions only 10 mins. after I posted the pics the wrong way. I have been going back to the welcome thread often to make sure I do things efficiently. I am going to have a lot of fun here.

Rob

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, yes you will

Hey crvan WELCOME!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire Pit.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	7482 I forgot one of my pits: Fire pit. Great for making breakfast the morning after a bon fire, bacon, eggs, sausage, or whatever I can find.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have a tripod cooker or similar? I have a tripod that I use very occasionally over a fire.

• crvan
        crvan commented
        Editing a comment
        No although I have thought about getting one. Much more primitive, I use an old cast iron grate from an old pit set atop of two cinder blocks

Howdy! I've also got a Chargriller Pro and fully agree that although it is a royal PITA to keep a steady temp on once you've tamed the beast it can turn out Q as good as any you could wish for.

Comment

• crvan
        crvan commented
        Editing a comment
        Brisket and shoulder it is, I'll document every step with each including the prep the rub and everything in between including the 150 beer break.

Where should I post the cook
        Last edited by crvan; August 5, 2014, 05:59 PM. Reason: Question for Pit Boss

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        My guess would be under "General Discussion" but one of the moderators could give a better answer.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        @crvan: Either in the beef recipes or the PORKnography recipes. Best to keep cooks in their context but we won't yell at you if you post it in Gen Disc.

Welcome Rob! The article on the Stall is the exact same article that go me hooked on this website. Thanks for sharing so much great info and doing a FANTASTIC job filling out your sig! I can't wait to see pics of that Lang

Comment

Hello Rob, and welcome to the club! Love the Vintage Charbroil!

Comment

Welcome, Rob... ex-Houston guy here.... left to Austin in 1981 for college. I know what you mean about the stall... in my early days, the stall was the time to do a beer run.

Comment

Welcome! I saw the thumbnail of the Charbroil and thought "is that an old console TV?", then I saw Microsoft and thought it might be some computerized gizmo. And congrats on the chargriller, I had one of those old things and couldn't do anything with it, finally pawned it off on some poor sucker. Ready to see some Del Boca Vista cooks!

Comment

• crvan
              crvan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea, I love that old thing, think they were outlawed in 1987 more than likely some fool turned on the gas then went in the house got a lighter looked through the glass front and lit it from the bottom. We all know how that turned out.
              I only use for rotisserie now she is semi retired. Next time I put on a nice ribeye roast I'll post the pics

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              My dad has an old Kenmore (I think) gas grill from the mid/late 80s, with glass front. He's put I don't know how many burners and such in that thing over the years. Still uses it . He used to clean the glass with some kind of cleaner and a razor blade to get the gunk off but he gave up on doing that years ago.

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              I shouldn't say couldn't, it was really more of a wouldn't. Even with gaskets and mods and everything else the metal was just too thin, I needed an entire chimney to get to operating temp. My last cook was a Boston Butt, took 5 chimneys to get through the cook.

Welcome Rob, as you can see from the responses you have already gotten that you are to like it here. I look foward to more of your posts and pics.

Barry

Comment

Just got the call from Lang Cookers, My new smoker will be here tomorrow HEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAW

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here