Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Portland, Oregon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Portland, Oregon!

Well, I seem to have not posted here when I first signed up; allow me to rectify my oversight!

I'm a supervisor at Costco; I've been with Costco for 14 years, started way back during college and stayed on after I graduated. Great company to have a career with!

I learned what good BBQ was when I visited my friends in Austin and went to Franklins. Quite an experience and the food was like nothing I had tried here in Oregon. When I got home I realized that no commercial enterprise in the Pdx area would come close, and so I decided to make it myself. I did an internet search and found this site and started reading and experimenting, but never joined. Years later, I had developed my skills and added thermometers, SnS, and other tools. My BBQ was improving steadily, and I was enjoying both the process and end results. The only thing I didn't have was a good cook book. Which bothered me. I like books, particularly when cooking, because a tiny phone screen just don't cut the mustard. I realized I should buy Meatheads book; cuz it is a wealth of knowledge and recipes, and the site has been a huge (free) resource for me. And with the cookbook cameI got my free trial to the pit

I learned on a 22" Weber kettle (still my favorite cooker), and have bought a PBC secondhand off Craigslist, and was gifted a gently used Traeger by my father-in-law (haven't used it beyond cleaning and a trial run but boy is it noisy compared to the Weber!). Someday I hope to get a real stick burning smoker. When that happens I'll post lots of pictures

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from Snoqualmie Wa.I used to live in Portland still miss it!
      I think there's a food truck called Matt's in one of the Mississippi food courts that has pretty legit que.

Comment

• Loren
        Loren commented
        Editing a comment
        It is quite a city! I'll have to check it out then, food trips are always fun

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome from Pasadena, the other City of Roses. I went to Reed in SE PDX and still miss living there!

Comment

Well, ya oughta fit right in here & not cuz ya have the fancy smancy job at Costco ( everbody loves Costco around here cept those that have em way far away.) But, ya used the word cuz in yer intro & say funny things like tastin cookin that’s nuthin like’s up here in Oregon & the Traeger bein a lot noisier then the Weber. Hmmm, wonder what yer meat source is? Welcome, eat good & have fun!
          Last edited by FireMan; August 15, 2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Welcome from TN. If I worked at Costco, my entire check would be spent on meat and cheese. After I spent an entire check on a freezer. Wait, I think they are hiring...

Comment

• Loren
              Loren commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh man does the cheese section hoover up money! Love me some cambazola

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              I know the feeling Loren , I live in Wisconsin.
              The whole state is a cheese section.

Greetings and welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta

Comment

Welcome from South Louisiana!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Sounds like ya have a good balance of cookers, cain't wait to see some action shots, an great foods!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Loren.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit.

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC. Man if I had your job I would be smoking a couple of times a week. Costco has some great meats.

Comment

• Loren
                            Loren commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I usually smoke at least once a week, usually briskets; I have a weakness for them, and this year has been quite beautiful

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here