Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Boston Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an From ya!

Always nice to have another git-fiddle picker, an sanger, hereabouts!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Huntington Beach, CA.

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC. I lived on the North Shore in Lyndhurst before moving down here. I would keep the Spirit for quick meals and searing meats off a smoker. Then concentrate on buying a good smoker. I myself do not like pellet grills not enough smoke on the meat. If you serve a lot of guests look at the Weber 26 add the Fireboard and the fan and a SnS and you are basically hands free. You set up a two section fire one over the coals and one across from them. At 225 with this set up the coals can last 10-11 hours.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Enjoy The Pit.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
            Welcome from the mountains of NC. I lived on the North Shore in Lyndhurst before moving down here. I would keep the Spirit for quick meals and searing meats off a smoker. Then concentrate on buying a good smoker. I myself do not like pellet grills not enough smoke on the meat. If you serve a lot of guests look at the Weber 26 add the Fireboard and the fan and a SnS and you are basically hands free. You set up a two section fire one over the coals and one across from them. At 225 with this set up the coals can last 10-11 hours.
            Thanks. The more I am reading, the more I am leaning toward a kettle. The versatility sounds like it is worth it.

Comment

Welcome to the community here! BBQ is alive & well in the Northeast! My son-law-grew up not far from Boston in Wellesley MA. He & I have both been bitten by the bug. He currently has a Lang offset smoker, Weber Smokey Mountain & Weber Performer. I have a Weber Performer & Vision Classic B Kamado. You will find no shortage of help & ideas to explore on the site

Comment

Howdy from the Fort!

Comment

Welcome from Pittsburgh!

Comment

Greetings from northern Mass. Can't help you with the current setup of gassers but I can speak to the pellet smoker being a ton less babysitting during cooks. I have my smoker setup next to my Weber Summit and that takes care of just about all my wife and I might desire.

I also know exactly where that Penzey's is as I grew up literally around the corner. I was wondering what they'd move in there after that Boston Market closed.

Welcome and enjoy the Pit. Lots of great info here and the inmates are nice here.

Comment

Originally posted by panteracfh3 View Post
                      Greetings from northern Mass. Can't help you with the current setup of gassers but I can speak to the pellet smoker being a ton less babysitting during cooks. I have my smoker setup next to my Weber Summit and that takes care of just about all my wife and I might desire.

I also know exactly where that Penzey's is as I grew up literally around the corner. I was wondering what they'd move in there after that Boston Market closed.

Welcome and enjoy the Pit. Lots of great info here and the inmates are nice here.
                      Thanks. I appreciate the welcome!

Comment

Hello from the North Shore!

Sounds like you are set on gassers. You need a charcoal grill next. Check out a Weber Summit Charcoal. Similar to a Big Green Egg (Kamado style cooker) super versatile. Grill and smoke on them. Indirect and direct.

Comment

• ScottyC13
                          ScottyC13 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the welcome. I looked at the Summit. It looks great. But I may go with the 22" Performer and get a fan temp controller and the slow and sear. It would be less money and look versatile too.

• Old Glory
                          Old Glory commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That would work well. I picked up a used performer and love it with the slow and sear. Have not smoked on it yet but it is great for two zone cooking.

Grew up my whole life thinking east coasters were rude people. Then I met them, and man was I wrong! Love MA and the people! Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Originally posted by mrteddyprincess View Post
                            Grew up my whole life thinking east coasters were rude people. Then I met them, and man was I wrong! Love MA and the people! Welcome to The Pit.
                            Most of us are wicked nice! Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

Welcome from Central Florida. I have good luck holding temps at 240 to 250 on the 18” Weber Smokey Mountain for 2 to 3 hours without constantly baby sitting, although that’s part of the fun. There are 1 or 2 fans 😊 of the Pit Barrel Cooker here. Of course there are much more costly options.

On a side note, my daughter and S-I-L just bought a house in the West Roxbury area of Boston.

Have fun and happy learning!

Comment

• ScottyC13
                                ScottyC13 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks for the welcome. My neighbor has the Weber SM 18. I may borrow his for a test.

I hope your daughter and SIL like snow! West Roxbury is nice. There is easier access to 95 from there than closer in to the center of the city.

• Willard
                                Willard commented
                                Editing a comment
                                ScottyC13 They had a place in Jamaica Plain. They have been there about 5 years. Chicago before that. Orlando before Chicago. For being Florida people they seem acclimated.

The WSM has its ups and downs and cooking space is is limited. You can get at least a couple of butts on their and several racks of ribs. If you are serving few people it will have plenty of space. Good luck!

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here