Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Boston Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from the Boston Area

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Scott and I'm an engineer from the Boston area. We don't have the rich history of BBQ as other regions do, but we definitely have fans here.

I joined the site to learn. I consider myself a very good cook, but I am a rookie with respect to BBQ and smoking although I have used a grill for years. I've read virtually everything on the free site and I'm 3/4 of the way through The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling. I am definitely a fan, especially of the science side. I got the science of cooking bug from watching Good Eats by Alton Brown. I love to learn techniques as much as recipes. I watch the Food Network to learn techniques and hope to learn a lot from the folks on this site.

I like this site because it answers the question why and dispels myths that frankly I have adhered to in the past.

I'm also lucky to have a Penzey's Spice store about 8 miles away, so yes, I have a lot of spices!

Right now I have two Weber gas grills, a Genesis at my residence and a Spirit Special Addition at my cottage. I've used a Thermoworks Thermapen for years and gave them as gifts to friends and family. I bought the Smoke for both grills and have begun dialing in the grill for 2-zone temperature control. I have the Weber cast iron griddle for the Spirit, which works great.

I also bought Grillgrates for the Spirit to test out and will pick up a set for the Genesis when they become available. I think the Genesis will be easy to set up for two zone including a water pan. I picked up some pellets of different woods to test on the grills from BBQ Delight.

For the Spirit, the issue I have is the the heating tubes run left to right instead of front to back. So to set up a 2-zone cooking area, I have to use the back burner on low and put the food in the front. The burners run pretty hot. I tested temperatures using the Smoke. With 3 burners on at 50%, the grill area is 490F. All three on low, 470F. With just the back burner on low, I can get it down to ~225F. But if I use a water pan, I would need to put it over the front two burners (I think). I am going to do more testing this weekend.

My question is has anyone else worked with this kind of set up? What did you do to best set up a 2-zone system?

I also want to start smoking and may buy a dedicated smoker. I'm reading all the reviews and scanning the site for member preferences. Pellet smokers are interesting for convenience, charcoal seems more versatile and cabinet types look cool too. I am leaning towards a set up that I don't have to stand over and tend all the time.

Outside of cooking, my interests are music (I play guitar and sing), golf, the beach, cycling, hiking and travel. My wife (33 years) and I like to drive back roads in find out-of-the-way places to check out.

Thanks for reading.

My avatar is my late, great beagle Skippy. Miss the little guy.

Welcome to The Pit Scott. I don't have a gasser, so I can't help. But someone will be along shortly who can.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland.
      Can’t really help you with the Spirit problem as my Spirit has the gas tubes running front to back. That makes 2 zones easy.
      As you already know, there are a lot of pellet smokers out there that give you the freedom you want. I have a Yoder and love it. However there are great remote thermometers out there that let you have some of that freedom on most other types of smokers. I use a Fireboard and can set alert limits that will let me know almost immediately if something is amiss, so I don’t need to hawk the cook so much.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Arizona!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Colorado.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. Sounds like you're off to a great start. I will second the Yoder smoker

Comment

Welcome from TN. Glad to have you here. I am a fan of the Weber Smokey Mountain smokers - I have been using on for years.

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome aboard from an original Masshole!

Comment

• Phil Averbuck
                        Phil Averbuck commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hahaaaa, me too, fled to central FL in 1998, GO CELTICS, PATS & RED SOX!!

Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Welcome from Wilson County, Texas!

Comment

I would say you did all the research, homework & study to get in the Pit that anybody I’ve heard of. No trial thing fer you, you graduated. When I joined I new a lot less than you & maybe still do & only had. Weber 22 & a Smokey joe & they let me in anyways. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome from South Louisiana! Sorry about your dog. Regarding your problem, maybe you're just standing on the wrong side of the pit. Engineers, you gotta love them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here