Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Southern California!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Southern California!

Hi everyone! Very happy to be apart of the community. I’m new here and recently moved into a home where they left a large smoker. I have NO IDEA how to use this thing. It looks to me like a lot can be done with it.. So after searching around online, here I am! I’ll spend some time today going through the site and figure out the basics. I’ve included a couple of pictures of what I’m working with. I can’t wait to use it!
    Attached Files

Welcome from a northern neighbor. That should be fun to learn. Nice welcoming gift.

Comment

Welcome from another Southern Californio! I can't comment much on your inherited smoker, but she looks like a beast! Congrats on your new home and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome. So. Cal boy myself. You have an offset smoker. First thing is clean it. Scrub it out, wipe it down. Next, load up the fire box (far right) with some lit charcoal and let her rip. See what the temps are like on your dials. Then do some research on this website and read, read, read. Then get an idea what you want to bbq and ask the forum for some recommendations.

Easy Peasy.

Comment

• Minime17
          Minime17 commented
          Editing a comment
          With this type of welcome.. I’m definitely on the hook to get this and boy fired up. I’d like to do a deep clean tomorrow but I’m seeing conflicting information on how to clean it. What would you recommend I use while cleaning it? Thanks in advance.

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          Kitchen soap & water, stiff brush and elbow grease. I'd stay away from cleaners with chemicals. Use a steam cleaner if you have one.

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! It looks like you are set to grill or smoke. Follow the wisdom of the Pit and
        you’ll be set for success.

Comment

Greetings from Altadena. Looks like a fun adventure awaiting you rebuilding that cooker!

Comment

Welcome from TN. That thing is pretty impressive - in no time we will be inviting ourselves by to sample some of your Q.

Comment

Welcome from South Louisiana!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome to you and that funky beast to the PIT!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Quite th smoker ya ended up with, there!

Th presence of wooden handles, an their shape make me think mebbe ol skool (Original) Oklahoma Joes Smokers but I might be wrong, not th first time

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Southern California has exceeded our quota. Now that you are here, I’ll be forced to leave. Thanks for that... and welcome.

Comment

• FireMan
                            FireMan commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Who’s kidding who? Just rustle up that Lodge & cook up a lunch & everthing will be just fine there ‘ol rad.

Welcome to The Pit. If it were my cooker, I'd start a fire in it, (you want the dirty first smoke for visibility), and look for leaks around the doors or anywhere else. You want all the smoke going out the chimney, but tiny leaks should be OK. Big leaks may make it hard to control temps. If you find big leaks, gaskets available on Amazon might be all you need to fix them.

You can still smoke with it even if it does leak, but it may take more attention to maintain the desired temp.

Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here