Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just moved from Boston to Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just moved from Boston to Austin

Hey Yall!

I just moved down from Boston, Ma to Austin Texas for work. Were still settling in and getting used to the heat but i can already tell we are going to love it here.

Im hoping to get some recommendations from the AR community for places we need to explore. Really would love to find a good local butcher (although HEB and Costco seem to cover most of our needs), good places to buy BBQ equipment (i sold my smoker in MA before we left and ill be in the market for a new one, maybe a BGE or something similar), great restaurants (BBQ or otherwise), and really anything else anyone would recommend!

We've already hit up a few awesome BBQ joints (La Barbecue, Stiles Switch) but i know there are bunch more.

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated!

~Fortin

Franklin BBQ (obviously). And go to Barton Springs (not BBQ related recommendation).

Comment

Boston to Austin....I like your move !!! Welcome to the Pit and welcome to the Great State of Texas !! Enjoy your time in the Hill Country, and yes you have just begun you BBQ journey !! Although, like everyone who's ever been to Austin, you'll be told that you gotta go to Franklin's, do yourself a favor. You can call in for an order out pickup. No wait, no fuss. Same experience and NO line.

Again welcome to the AR Pit !!!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit and to Texas from a denizen of Wilson County, southeast of you! There is a Barbecue Outfitters in Austin. Not a discount house but fairly complete selection of cookers and supplies. https://bbqoutfitters.com.

I heartily recommend Valentina’s in south Austin. A converted food truck. Excellent south Texas Tex-Mex style Q. The brisket tacos are outstanding!

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, I am glad I don't live in a town with a store like that. My MCS would be out of control.

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers fortunately I don’t live that close to one of them🤣🙄

I’m happy that you are near HEB stores now. Just hearing about their selections of meat and other goods from our Texas members makes me envious.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Colorado. Looking forward to your contributions. I can't tell you the best place to go as the last time I was in Texas was 1999.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Our son moved from Boston to Austin a few years ago. He loves it there.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from TN

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Welcome from Argentina. Try Blue bonnett cafe in dripping Springs. Nice drive out there on the weekend. Also Torchys tacos in South Austin Or Rudys BBQ (360 and also on 183)

Comment

Moving in the right direction! : ) Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC Sounds like you have a place to shop for grills and smokers. I know Troutman has mentioned HEB for good meat and others Costco.

Comment

I went there for a buisiness trip a while back, everyone in my group was raving about Torchy's Tacos so that's where we went. The line was down the block shortly after we put in our orders. One of my Tacos was fantastic, but the other 2 not so much. If I had a chance I'd definately give it another shot since every place has an off day... Especially a place that's got locals waiting 30 minutes for a taco, it has to be good most of the time.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! Head down to Lockhart and try the brisket at Kruez, the clod at Smitty’s and the sausage at Black’s. You’ll be in the heart of central Texas BBQ.

Comment

• gcdmd
                              gcdmd commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Not too far from Lockhart is City Market in Luling. It is also one of the top rated BBQ spots in Texas.

• LA Pork Butt
                              LA Pork Butt commented
                              Editing a comment
                              gcdmd you are right about that and there are others, too. I just thought that I would give him three choices in the same town. My son and I are going to try to get to Snow’s in Lexington before the Pitmaster (She’ in he eighties) retires.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here