Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from Indonesia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from Indonesia!

Hi fellow BBQ'ers!

Where to start..... Well, I am a fiend for smoked meat but up until a week ago had never attempted cooking it myself.

I am originally from England but have made my home in Jakarta, Indonesia. A vast majority of the population here have no idea about smoking meat and the divine results it produces so I have took it upon myself to start a catering business and (fingers crossed) a chain of restaurants across the archipelago.

For the past 2/3 months me and a band of fellow meat lovers (no pun intended) have been researching every dark corner of the web to start us on the long road to becoming Pitmasters. What we have found, as I'm sure everyone is aware, is that there is a lot of conflicting information readily available online and I believe this is down to the fact that, for the most part, there is no right or wrong way of doing things, all depends on personal preference. I can honestly say with confidence that amazingribs is my 'go-to' source of information for the past few months and generally the only site I use now so it was only natural to join the community and help make this a bigger and better place for all.

Soooo..... The first issue I faced was the lack of smokers available in this country, apart from Komodo Kamado which is owned by a great guy down in Bali named Dennis, we were out of options. By pure luck one of my 2 business partners was a GM of a large steel company here so we took the logical step of fabricating our own Reverse Flow Smoker (pictures below). This was just a small test that we could use for on-site catering to start while we got our bearing but it is working great, thermometers, drop tables and storage being added tomorrow.

The second and current issue we were then faced with was woods. The generic used for conventional BBQ'in here is Rambutan so we used some of that to initially season and then test the smoker until we get our head around how this particular smoker functions. I've been given a Jamaican Cherry tree to use but isnt ready to cut for another month and have two Duku fruit trees being delivered to me now. This is all just random trees and cuts from friends of friends that we are managing to source and obviously will not work to replicate on a large scale! We do have an abundance of Orange trees here so I'm currently sourcing a supplier to give that a go.

That will do for now did not mean to make the intro so long but look forward to getting involved here playing with different flavors that may not neccesarily be readily available outside of asia.

Happy Smoking!
    Indo_Smoker

Nice work Indo_Smoker ! Enjoyed reading your post. Yes, there are many ways to do things. The great thing about AmazingRibs.com is Meathead has listed many facts of cooking and the science & physics behind it, with a lot of help from Dr. Blonder to help weed through myths and legends. Some things you read out there on the interwebs about BBQ are almost comical.

Orange wood I've heard is great. You will likely have great experiences with that. I haven't even heard of the others you mention since I live in the US, but surely you'll find what works with what. I would toss a few different pieces of meat on each cook each time you use a different wood, so as to get a solid taste of how each wood works with each meat. For instance, in my taste preferences oak is awesome on beef but I don't like it as well on chicken. Ash is awesome on pork & chicken but I don't care for it on beef. I like apple on everything I've ever tried it on, etc. You'll learn all that and have fun doing it. Best of luck in your endeavors!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Huskee and solid advice!

I have downloaded Meathead's cooking log to do just that also I fully agree with your comments about this site. Anyone can take a random recipe and cook time from the internet and have results but unless you know the science behind WHY the meat behaves how it does you will never advance!

For me this country is perfect as I see this not only as an education for me but to have a viable business here is largely down to educating the population on smoked meats also.

In regards to the 2 fruit trees, links below:

Rambutan
      Duku
      Last edited by Indo_Smoker; March 18, 2015, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Welcome IS! We're glad you're here. I have found the cooking log to be a HUGE help. I often go back to prior cooks to remind myself of what has and hasn't worked for me in the past. Just starting out it's practically a necessity for success. You've got an interesting story here. Please keep us posted!

Comment

Welcome, Indo! There's a butcher shop near me that sets up a pit on weekends. They use a variety of woods, and I was surprised to learn orange was one of them. They're turning out good stuff, so here's hoping it works out for you. Good luck!

Comment

Nice rig you all put together! WTG! Welcome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here