Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from Western New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Western New York

Hey everyone, glad to be here. Writing in from WNY (Buffalo/ Niagara Falls area). I've been around grills as long as I can remember - started off by watching Dad pour beers on cheap steaks over a propane fire and lava rocks (are those even around anymore?). Only to later learn that is a terrible method and why the meat was always dried out and gross, but it was time well spent with Dad nonetheless. Thankfully Mom started watching Food Network and we learned some better methods on keeping meat delicious while using a grill.
    One Father's Day we all pitched in and picked up a Weber Smokey Mountain. We had been watching some BBQ shows on TV and thought we'd give smoking a try. Glad we did, as some of the best meals we ever had came off it. Fast forward a few years and I've got a Weber 22" Kettle to grill/smoke for my wife and kids - we love it!
    I struggled a bit at first keeping temps while smoking ribs and butts, I was just piling up charcoal on one side and hoping for the best - results were... meh. Just recently picked up a slow n' sear which has made longer cooks SO much easier. The first pork butt I did on the SnS I followed instructions from the free portion of this site. Did the 24-hour dry brine, then sprinkled some of Meathead's Memphis Dust on it right before it hit the grill. I was able to keep the temp in range for most of the cook, even though we left for some errands and came back to a pretty low cooking temp. Fixed that up, then wrapped after the stall. I tell ya, it was the BEST pulled pork I've ever had . Awesome bark, decent smoke ring, perfectly moist meat, and the shoulder bone came out clean as a whistle:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3192.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	719903

Also made a delightful smoked meatloaf and baked taters. If I could, I'd grill every single day!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3186.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	719904

My next big cook will be this weekend, borrowing Dad's WSM to fit two huge chuck roasts on. I've been reading and watching videos on what to do with chuck roast and based on previous results from using this site, I'm anticipating this will be the best smoked roast ever! Stay tuned for results. Will try to post pictures from throughout the process, even though I'll have to wake up super early (planning to light up around 3:30a) to get done in time for the 1pm party.
    Looking forward to this and many more smokes. Thanks for such a great site!

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Glad yer here, thanks fer th great pics, I'll be watchin fer more from ya, amigo!

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC spent some time up in the Oswego part of your state.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from south Texas! Those are beautiful cooks!

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Enjoy those chuckies

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Mossy you just nailed it. You are having just about enough FUN! That n’ things bein tasty. Welcome, eat good & continue with the fun!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from the California Delta. great looking pics.

Comment

Welcome form Spokane Valley, Wa.

Comment

Welcome aboard neighbor

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Colorado. That is a heck of a cook worth of pictures you shared. Looking forward to your contributions.

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook, and welcome to the Pit.

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here