Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member from the Chicago area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from the Chicago area

Greetings fellow smoke lovers!

My name is Ray, and I live in the far west suburbs of Chicago. I'm in my early 50's, have a wife and 2 young kids. I only discovered the beauty and art of smoked meats about 2 years ago (yes, such a waste of my adult life...decades of smoked brisket I should have been ingesting!!).

I started officially smoking about 2 years ago - my wife bought me a cheap smoker from a garage sale for $12.00. My first try was with a gorgeous 15 pound brisket (I kid you not, it was the most beautiful piece of beef I have ever purchased). I had no good working thermometer, the smoker relied on charcoal, so maintaining the temperature was a challenge. All I knew was that it would take about 16 hours, and needed an internal temp of about 200 degrees. Through sheer dumb luck, this brisket achieved a level of perfection I had never imagined was possible. It was served at a Labor Day party to a large group of friends, who regarded me thereafter as some sort of smoke god. I was forever hooked!

My results since have been anywhere from complete disaster, to various levels of success, but my love for the art has only increased. I now have a far superior propane smoker, a top of the line digital thermometer (courtesy of this websites 'rating and reviews'), create my own dry rubs and sauces. Becoming a member of this site was a no brainer, this site has a wealth of information I have only begun to tap. Fellow members are equally enthusiastic, and take this all as seriously as I do (wish we could get together yearly for a smoke off...now there's a win win event!).

I have a great deal of comments I will write, in the appropriate forum, on my specific success and failures, with the hope that they help others out. Well, this initial greeting is far longer than I had intended (which is how it usually goes for me) so will stop now.

Looking forward to knowing all of you better. Oh, one last thing...weather has FINALLY broke in Chicago, I will be smoking again soon! (can I get a hoo-waa?)

Ray

Welcome to the Pit! Looking forward to your input.

Comment

Hello Ray. Welcome

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Ray!

Comment

Welcome aboard Ray

Comment

Chicago Ray , welcome, Ray! like your name! Can't have too many.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago Ray View Post
              ...weather has FINALLY broke in Chicago, I will be smoking again soon! (can I get a hoo-waa?)

Ray
              HOO-WAA! Welcome to The Pit Ray! We're glad you're here.

Your first brisket cook is one for the record books. The first brisket usually doesn't turn out that well!

Comment

Say, Ray! Welcome to the best community of peeps that have a passion for BBQ and sharing their experiences and expertise. We're all here to learn and enjoy each others successes. Your gonna love it here! Our Moderators are second to none! I too am a Chicago-guy living in the far western burbs of Chicago. Yes the weather was beauuuutiful today! And a hardy Hoo-Waa! to you.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Chicago Ray ! Thank you for the support. Congrats on a good brisket cook. My first one turned out great too, but then again I read, re-read and re-re-read Meathead's technique before trying.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here