Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mssmoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mssmoker

I just joined the Pitmaster Club a few minutes ago. I found the Amazing Ribs website while staying warm in Florida. I read with interest the article about the Pit Barrel Smoker. I was ready to order and electric smoker and switched to the PB, which I ordered today. I have been eating and enjoying BBQ for most of my life. I decided to start doing it myself instead of having the restaurants do it each time. My good friends enjoy BBQ also, but we all just grill. I decided to make the leap for our group. I live in Illinois, about 30 minutes from St. Louis. I retired from public education and travel, golf, and soon -smoke food. Any advise for this "newbie", on how to get started on this journey, would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard mssmoker

Comment

Welcome... You've already made a really giant step forward on your never ending journey of learning to smoke low and slow! Joining this group gives a vast amount of practical knowledge that will be at your finger tips. I don't have a pit barrel smoker but they are very popular with many of the members so they will walk you through how to use it. The next thing you need to buy is a really good digital thermometer or 2. I have the Thermapen and the Mavrick 733.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit mssmoker! You'll find tons of helpful folks & information here. I've been a member since Nov 2014 and went from zero to hero with my family. I've had some so-so meat, but that was my fault and I probably learned the most from 2 things---my mistakes and multiple cooks of the same item. Getting to know my grill (Big Green Egg) and how to achieve 225 and 325 has been a huge help too.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! The website is a plethora of information, so dive into like you'd eat an elephant, one bite at a time. The seminars are excellent sources if you have the time to watch them. They are about an hour long each. The techniques tab is also a great place to start looking for articles that pertain to what you want to do.

As a side note, I am currently in my second year of retirement from public ed. Spent the last 21 years as a high school principal and did 9 years as a high school science teach to start out. Do a bit of subbing now and also work for Jostens (class rings/caps & gowns, etc.) so I still get to see my old ed buddies and work with kids.

Enjoy the journey, you'll find this is a great site and great group of bbq nuts

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome, you're gonna love the PBC and there is a ton of info here.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit mssmoker ! Glad to have you here and thank you for the support. As the others above have said, you made a very wise choice. Your PBC will turn out great food, and I really think you'll like it better than an electric. Hard to beat charcoal and/or wood for authentic flavor.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

PBC advice. Go to the website and watch the videos on the type of meat you will be cooking. Follow the advice on the videos to a T. Learn how to cook on your PBC before you start changing it up. There is tons of advice on how to modify your cooking adventure on the PBC. But you will benefit greatly if you practice doing what it was designed to do which is set it and forget it cooking. Then you can start mixing it up. Food for thought.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here