Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salutations Pit-Heads, I'm aucivil from North Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salutations Pit-Heads, I'm aucivil from North Alabama

I am in my early 50's. An engineer by trade and a War Eagle by heart. Compared to most around here, I would be considered a novice Smoker. Not sure I will have too much knowledge to offer. Have grilled my entire life using both charcoal and gas but have only dabbled in smoking the last few years. Not sure if gas is taboo around here. I know purist don't like it but it serves me well (depends on what I'm doing). For grills I have 2-Weber kettles and a Vermont Casting gas. In smokers, I started with a Brinkman Charcoal then moved to an Electric Brinkman. Now I have 2-24" Smoke Vault gas smokers. My preferences - Brine, fatcap down (sometimes),sweet and savory ribs both FOTB, low and slow for pork and beef, hot and fast for turkey and chicken.

Jump in and thanks for the support!!!

We all novices compared to the guy who started this website!

Comment

True That Jerod. aucivil welcome and thanks for your support.

Comment

aucivil I forgot to mention. You are welcome for your defensive coordinator. Go Gators.

Comment

Welcome, lots of engineers on here, and none of 'em can seem to pick a good school As far as knowledge to offer, I bet you pick up so much so fast you will be giving lessons in no time, people really seem to pick up quick around here.
          Gas is taboo with some, pellets are no good to others, and some I think aren't happy unless you are using some oak from the boat Washington used to cross the Delaware, but they usually keep it to themselves or just say it would be 'better'. I think most would agree that if they had the time, funds, and skill to run a stickburner they would, but we all understand sometimes (most?) life doesn't allow us to just drink beer and chuck wood in a box every half hour.

Comment

Aucivil,

Welcome. Cooking is supposed to be enjoyable so the fuel that powers your device isn't terribly important much of the time. I have a Weber Spirit gasser in the garage and use it during the winter and once in a while during the rest of the year when time and convenience are paramount.

Comment

Welcome Aucivil! We're glad you're here. I'm an Auburn grad as well, class of 1994.

Comment

Welcome!!!!

Comment

Welcome aboard Aucivil

Comment

Welcome to The Pit aucivil ! Thanks for your support. You won't really find too many "purists" here per se. To be a purist, in the true sense of the word, we should all either be digging pits for our next hog cook, or standing with meat on sticks over a fire. Nope, we're all using steel boxes, barrels or tubes in some fashion. What matters is that you make the best food you can make, and our community here will help in whatever way we can with that.

Great job on your signature!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here