Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation on sourcing baby back ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation on sourcing baby back ribs

I want to go over the top this 4th of July, and I'm looking for a really good source for Berkshire baby backs, any recommendations? Also, should I order frozen, or are there fresh delivered options? Lastly, i found this site, Marx Foods in Seattle, that delivers frozen Iberico baby backs from Spain. I've been to Spain and have had Iberico and Pata Negra ham, it's incredible. but, I'm not certain about this option for ribs. Anyone ever try them?

No sir I have not but I’m sure some will be along shortly who actually knows something.

BTW what cooker is that in you avatar with the lid open in the foreground?

Comment

• MikesBBQLounge
      MikesBBQLounge commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, That's a Bayou Classic Cypress ceramic grill. basically a komada. I've had it about 8 years, and really like it. this grill behind me is a Weber Summit gas grill, and in the foreground is a sliver of my Masterbuilt 40 inch electric smoker. That pic was taken in early March, and it was about 35 degrees outside.

Here's my go-to source. Note that I have never placed an online order since the shop is 1.5 miles from my house, so I can't comment on their shipping practices. They are great folks however, and I would not anticipate you having any issues. Tell 'em Matt sent you!

Comment

I'm really high on Matador Prime out of the Dallas, Texas area;

matadorprimesteak.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, matadorprimesteak.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

They have some of the largest baby backs I've ever cooked, they keep the full loin attached, awesome ribs;

Click image for larger version

Name:	baby backs 02.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	697881
      Click image for larger version

Name:	baby backs 06.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	697880

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Good gawd!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Well they say everything's big in Texas.....
        2 full racks up here don't have as much meat on em one of your ribs

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        The full loin attached is a negative for me. But those do look really nice!

My local Fresh By Brookshires can order Berkshire pork. I'm a St.Lewis cut man myself.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I still use commodity pork for big cooks, but for small ones for the family it's Berkshire or Duroc. If I a frying chops it's commodity as well. Troutman on that note, I have a pretty good sized Chuck from one of our grass-fed Angus for this weekend. Will be chopped (pulled) beef.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto I’m doing that grass fed brisket I posted last week. First one for me. I think HEB sources them from either small locals OR from Australia of all places. Claims to be USDA Choice, will report the results.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        HEB is carrying Berkshire all the time now. Yea it’s pricey but I’m not cooking for a crowd. Compart Duroc is also readily available here. For big cooks, yea use commodity, I would too.

@MikesBBQLounge Got a link for that?

Comment

I've had Kurobuta Pork(same as Berkshire just the Japenese name)which is fantastic from Snake River Farms. However, I warn the ribs are small even for babybacks and hard as all heck to get the membrane off. However , they do taste great!
      Last edited by Jon Liebers; June 20, 2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• MikesBBQLounge
        MikesBBQLounge commented
        Editing a comment
        I've read that the ribs from SRF are very small but are good. But, many say that they are not notably better than other berkshire sources

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know if they are better than other Berkshire sources only know they delivered as promised and they tasted great. But get that membrane removed if possible cause it is a bitch to remove.

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        I have cooked a few racks of SRF spares but never babybacks. The spare ribs were small but excellent. A rack of these is usually 1.5 lbs. A bit more tender than commodity pork and much more flavor. They are expensive but worth trying once or twice.

I have seen a lot of competition teams use Compart Duroc pork. I may give this one a try myself as well. CompartDuroc.com

Comment

Living here in NC I can get some nice pork from my local butcher. I don't like baby backs no meat on them compared to spare ribs. If the butcher doesn't have any I will get Smithfield brand they are nice and meaty and tasty for a commodity brand.
        • Upload Pix
        • â—¢

Upload Pix

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here