Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from up north

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from up north

Hello from just outside the beautiful city of Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. If you don't know where that is, just follow I-95 north from anywhere on the East Coast and when you finally come to the end of the road in Houlton, Maine, you are only about an hour away.

Another long time lurker here who is taking advantage of the 30-day trial. I'm 57 and working on a second career in IT following nearly 30 years in the Canadian Air Force. I'm also the cook in the family (wife, son, daughter and foster-daughter) and grilling and smoking is a natural extension of that.

I currently own a natural gas grill and a PBC, and I tend to use the grill most of the year (my standing offer to the kids is "you clear the snow off the deck so I can get at the BBQ, and I will use it". Today is the first cook of the year in the PBC, mainly because I have been too damn busy to do anything before now -- youngest graduates high school in a few weeks and that has been a bit chaotic. Today is gorgeous and I can't go anywhere because I am on-call this weekend so it is a perfect time. I just hung a couple of beautiful pork shoulders in the PBC, all rubbed up pretty with the last of my current batch of Meathead's Memphis Dust. I'll likely pass the afternoon making a new batch as well as a batch of Big Bad Beef Rub. Pulled pork, potatoes and carrots in foil and sweet peppers on the grill, and a German cucumber salad, and we'll call that a meal.

It is not a long weekend up here - that was last weekend - so I hope you guys all have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!
    57 here, as well...couple more years, my age, an IQ will match perfect!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome from California!

Comment

Welcome from South Louisiana and thank you for your military service.

Comment

My Mothers originally from the Maramichi.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas, USA! You pay the weather in the winter and we pay in the summer. It’s 89° now and peak out at 90° later this afternoon.

Comment

• John Piercy
                  John Piercy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Winters here are not as bad as where I previously lived. I was stationed in Cold Lake, Alberta for 17 years, and the winters there were long and brutal. Here we get freeze/thaw cycles throughout the winter. Out there, the first flake that fell (in October) was the last one that melted (in May) and we saw -40 a few times every winter. That said, it didn't stop anyone from grilling.... must be a Canadian thing.

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup shovel off the deck and light her up.

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  John Piercy and smokin fool We cook year round, too. The heat doesn’t stop us, and we only went below freezing twice last year. The high 90s over a hot grill with the sun in your face can be tough in a different kind of way.

Welcome from Western Massachusetts

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota!

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan! Spent a couple weeks in an exercise with the Canadian AF in October 1978. Great group to work (and party) with. My hangover is mostly gone now.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland and congratulations to the soon to be graduate. Just attended my grandson’s graduation ceremony today and know that feeling of pride you have in your new graduate.

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas! Congratulations on the upcoming graduation.

Comment

Another California welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Colorado. I grew up in Central Maine and have been to New Brunswick on a few different occasions.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here