Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Cajun who has everything but dumbfounded on bbq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit, Lance, from south Texas!

Comment

Welcome from The Republic of Texas. You've come to the right place.

A suggestion: don't start with brisket; start with pork, either shoulder (butt) or ribs. There's plenty of reading material on the free part of this site to give you a good foundation before lighting up and plenty of advice here in The Pit from helpful, knowledgeable, and experienced folks.

Oh, and BTW, we have a great time here just hangin' out and swappin' tales. We take what we do seriously, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. We're the M.A.S.H. of BBQ.
      Last edited by gcdmd; May 24, 2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        "We're the M.A.S.H. of BBQ."

Excellent description of The Pit. I really enjoy it here, other BBQ forums I've been on have been nothing but opinionated 'My Way or the Highway' types.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        58limited Thank you.

Welcome to the Pitt! All that cooking you do is going to transfer right over into BBQ, and you've got one of the best cookers out there in the BGE, and the recipes, videos, and discussions on this site are incredibly helpful! You'll also find that this is a positive place where people encourage one another even when one makes mistakes, not to mention that the people here are about the nicest people one could hope to meet. Fire up that BGE and show us some pics of what you cook!

Comment

What part of Louisiana you from? I spend a lot of time in Lake Charles, Baton Rouge and Shreveport on business, even the Big Easy every now and again.

Welcome to the Pit, from your neighbor in the Republic of Texallance !!!

Comment

Welcome from another part of Colorado. Ask a question and you will get an answer that's for sure. You will find this a great place to get all the information you want and more.

Comment

Welcome, your cooking skills sound like you really enjoy great food. BBQing is a more of a laid back venture. You'll love it.

Comment

Welcome from California. Cajun and Creole some of my favorites

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I grew up in New Orleans and cook on a large Big Green Egg. What do you want to cook? My suggestion is begin with a Boston Butt. If to you have a recipe you can make Tasso on the egg.

Comment

Once you get that BGE to hold 225*, the world is your brisket.

Comment

Wow, I am blown away with your responses. Oh I have many recipes. I have sense you all have been so nice, a recipe from an old butcher that lived next door. And my modification, due to salt concerns. First time in 40 years this has gone public. Just try it and let me know, or ask me anything

Dugas Seasoning

6 parts Paprika - Reg Sweet Hot 2 each or just straight paprika as we did all these years

4 parts Salt

2 parts Black Pepper

1- 2 parts Cayenne

1 part MSG (can subsitute more paprika or some other spice you like, you have to keep the ratio)

1 part Sugar

1 part Garlic power

½ part onion powder

½ part chili powder

¼ part White pepper

Version 2

6 parts Paprika

4 parts Salt

2 parts Black Pepper

1 parts Cayenne

1 part MSG

1 part Sugar

1 part Garlic power

½ part onion powder

½ part chili powder

¼ part White pepper

Version 3 BBQ rub

4 parts Paprika

2 parts Hot Paprika

2 parts Sweet Paprika

2 or 4 parts Salt ...experiment

2 parts Black Pepper

2 parts Turbino Sugar

1 part Cayenne

1 part mild Chili

1 part other Chili

1 part chili powder

1 part MSG

1 part Garlic power

1 part onion powder

½ part White pepper

Dugas Blacking Sasoning Great on fish on the grill

3 tbsp Paprika

2 tsp Oregeno

2 tsp Thyme

2 tsp Sugar

2 tsp Salt

1 tsp Cayenne

1 tsp Black Pepper

1 tsp Garlic

Dugas Blacking Sasoning x3

¾ cup tbsp Paprika ¼ cup Reg Sweet Hot

½ cup Oregeno

½ cup Thyme

2 ¾ tbsp Sugar

2 ¾ tbsp Salt

1 â…“ tbsp Cayenne

1 â…“ tbsp Black Pepper

1 â…“ tbsp Garlic

Comment

I gave the above recipes to a friend in Dallas and they flipped out, they had no idea you can mix seasoning..wow
                      This is the original recipe from 50 years ago, this is too salty I have modified it, see above
                      5 parts Salt
                      1 part sugar
                      1 part black pepper
                      1 part cayenne
                      1 part paprika
                      1 part msg
                      I part garlic powder

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
                        Welcome to the Pit! I grew up in New Orleans and cook on a large Big Green Egg. What do you want to cook? My suggestion is begin with a Boston Butt. If to you have a recipe you can make Tasso on the egg.
                        Thank you, I am so glad to be a part of this and you all. I went through my frezer and remembered I bought a prime should roast. That is my next bbq. Well not really, I am doing some ribs and chicken for the family for Memorial Day. Thanks to everyone here, you all have been great!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks fer sharin with us, much appreciated!

I am pure cajun, I have a lot to share, cajun is not about hot, it is about a balanced ratio of spices. We have a bad rap, of just being spicey, it is more about an all around spice that compliments each dish.

Comment

I challenge you all to make these spice recipes, write me with improvements or thoughts.

Comment

• Mosca
                            Mosca commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I would drop the white pepper, unless you have a really good source for really fresh product. When it turns bad, it tastes like fart.

I am Cajun through and through but have not mastered jambalaya, I cannot get the ratios right
                          I do have a few secrets. I bit of baking powder when you are frying oysters.
                          Jambalaya is simple but so complex, I have not mastered it, any suggestions are welcome, I am in flux haha

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here