Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justify My Number of Cookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you add up the yearly costs of all the oil of aphrodite and dust of the grand wazoo that wives buy each year, another outdoor cooker is cheap.

You didn't hear that from though.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea don't go there, that's dangerous territory.....

Nothing, really. You can grill with the Weber and low n' slow with the Daniel Boone, and it looks like you've chosen equipment that is very user friendly and convenient. I've never owned a gas grill or a pellet smoker. I have eaten food cooked on a gas grill, and it's been just fine, but never had Q from a pellet smoker so I can't say what it is like with respect to BBQ flavor vs. wood or charcoal smokers.

Are you itching for something more hands on? If so then I'd say skip the charcoal cookers (i.e. Kamado, WSM, cabinet, kettle) and go right to wood cooking. Most charcoal cookers require some learning curve but once you dial them in and perfect your fire management they become pretty much like your equipment, i.e. "set and forget". I'd go with either a Santa Maria grill or a quality offset, depending on whether you like to grill or slow cook your food more.

The justification is...try something cooked over wood coals!

Comment

Be careful. That's exactly where I was when I decided I wanted to try something new. Had a GMG Daniel Boone pellet and a Weber Spirit gasser. Decided I needed to add charcoal to the mix so I started keeping an eye on Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace for some Weber kettles and was surprised how often you can find good deals on cookers in good condition. So I added a used Weber kettle premium in decent shape for $50 and a 14-inch Weber Smokey Mountain that I had never intended to buy but decided it was worth the $75. So one more cooker than planned... but once you start looking for those deals each day, it's hard to stop. What if you miss that diamond in the rough?

I kept checking even though I had no need to buy anything and I found a Weber Performer Premium in great shape except for the one-touch cleaning system that needed to be replaced. I got the price on that down to $100. How could I pass that up?

Justification for 3 new cookers wasn't as hard as I thought. "I'm just trying out some new toys to figure out what I like and can sell the ones that don't get used often." I may have convinced myself that was true, but I don't think my wife was buying it. Considering how little money was actually spent on it all, she let it slide. Fortunately, she is not a Pit member and had no way of knowing that the fun (spending) had only just begun.

I found myself with a gasser, pellet pooper, two kettles and a WSM. All the cookers I need, right? Yes, but now I need a Slow n Sear, the must-have for the Weber kettle. Hey, why not get the Drip n Griddle and EasySpin grate while I'm at it? You save a few bucks when you bundle, so how could I not!? That would be irresponsible. Bring 'em on.

I hear the Vortex does magical things to chicken. I should probably get one of those. With two kettles, the Vortex could go in one while the SnS is in the other. It makes too much sense. Let's do it!

I'm sorry, sweet Spirit, am I neglecting you? Let's get you some shiny new GrillGrates to show how much I still care.

I can cook so much food now with all of the extra cooking space, I should get a FoodSaver so I can keep it all.

My XR-50 can't be used with the GMG on the deck and the kettles on the patio at the same time. FireBoard to the rescue!

Something about meat spinning above hot coals, basting in its own juices is so incredibly enticing. A kettle rotisserie attachment was high on my list of wants, but I did manage to resist the urge of buying one while giving myself some time to play with all of the other new purchases. Then kill2grill had to go and post about Lamb Shawarma. Now my brain (which seems to defy all known medical science and actually resides in my stomach) is telling me I need to hurry up and buy one for shawarma, gyros, chickens and roasts. So I'll be ordering one of those this week.

So that's the cautionary tale of how I got from where you are now to where I am today. A gasser, a pellet grill, a desire for something different, and not even the slightest bit of self-control. I'd say I hope you can control yourself more than I did, which really shouldn't be hard for most human beings, but then again I plan on having a lot more fun outdoors this year than I would without all of these wonderful new toys to play with. I regret nothing... as long as my wife doesn't find out I've spent 4X more on accessories than I did on the budget-friendly cookers.

Comment

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m no doctor....... but this sounds like a very advanced case of MCS........ you say cautionary tale, but to me, it’s more inspirational!

Just buy it and gift it to her as a birthday present.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Along with a new ironing board and vacuum cleaner.

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down...

Comment

If the ladies here are reading this thread they are LTAO. They aren’t falling for any of it. Lol.

Comment

Exact same thing as klflowers said. But seriously, the kettle SnS combo can't be beat.

Comment

My buddy has 9 cars, vintage and modern.
            Also has 7 boats, vintage and modern.
            This of course varies depending on his mood and/or lust for one thing or another.
            So compared to others a coupla hundred bucks for another BBQ ain't such a bad thing.

Comment

In the ongoing saga of the justifyin thing & to whom you are justifyin, how many pair of shoes does the little missus have. Why? Now what comes out of your understanding is that "her feet look mighty fine in those shoes, yessir, real nice & purdy like, yup, in all of em, every last one of them." "Now honey, I just couldn’t picture yer beeautiful feet in just 2 or 4 pair a shoes."
              Then ya tell her about yer buddy & needin more than two saws, it’s sorta like "your feet", to do a job of beauty he needs more two saws, just like your things of beauty need more than two pair. “
              BTW honey, I would like to prepare this special meal for ya, & in order to cook this (pick a nice piece of meat) I need this different cooker to compliment my equipment, cuz it does a superior job in cooking ___ “ . Then sew up the deal! 🕶

Comment

I have not gotten a new rig yet, but spent over $200 in the last two weeks since reading Meathead's book. I had no idea I needed some of these gadgets to cook better. Anyways, when the amazon box arrives with the newest thing I need, I remind her that it is cheaper than the motorcycles I used to buy. Works so far, we will see how upset she gets when I finally pull the trigger on a Big Joe...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why, I would never collect, much less hoard vintage MC s, parts, etc.
                  That would likely constitute some fashion of a disorder, now wouldn't it?
                  Much akin to collectin / hoardin vintage guitars / amps/ mics / effects, etc.
                  (Which, of course, natch, I would never do, neither)

Originally posted by Surly Viking View Post
                I have not gotten a new rig yet, but spent over $200 in the last two weeks since reading Meathead's book. I had no idea I needed some of these gadgets to cook better. Anyways, when the amazon box arrives with the newest thing I need, I remind her that it is cheaper than the motorcycles I used to buy. Works so far, we will see how upset she gets when I finally pull the trigger on a Big Joe...
                Going from an Amazon box to a BigJOE... man, you don’t mess around... lol. Don’t feel bad, prior to 2017, I had 2 BigJOE’s a Classic and a Joe Jr.

Comment

I guess I am fortunate in that my wife, up to this point, has tolerated my love for outdoor cooking and the equipment purchases that result from it. That said, the other day I was joking with her, reminding her of who "wears the pants in the family"... she quickly reminded me of who takes off my pants. Needless to say, I backed down real fast... lol.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    See, a little lapse in memory my friend. It’s not the pants, it’s the feet, the feet. Kindness, Love, the feet! 🕶

A very interesting thread, this. I have five, count them, five cookers (on my deck) - six if you count the Weber Q in my shed which is getting really lonely. They are a somewhat elderly Members Mark three burner gasser which gets used now only when I want to do a rotisserie cook, a Weber Q which is larger than the shed bound Q, a Weber 22" and 18" Smokey Joe, and a GMG DC. Every time I suggested we needed another grill SWMBO rolls her eyes and just shakes her head. When I remind her about the four, count them, four different sewing machines in her sewing room she begins but never quite succeeds to look sheepish.

Last week we had a couple over for dinner and I had already planned the cook. Three of us became a committee which did not include me. By the time the committee decided what we were going to serve it was clear my plan was history. Bottom line was I had three of the five cookers on my deck going at once. The grilling gods were good to me that day - everything got done at the same time and within 5 minutes of the scheduled dinner time.

SWMBO opined this past weekend that the deck was still crowded and now that the weather was improving we should do something about it. I said yes it is a bit cramped but so is your sewing room. When she asked me what that had to do with it I asked her if she could use three of her four sewing machines at the same time. And smiled.

The doctor told me that I get the stitches out next week but I may be walking with a limp for most of the rest of the summer.

I think the smiling was my mistake.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad to hear that yer prospects of recovery are favourable, Brother...
                    Even, upon th rare occasion that it jus might happen, NEVER gloat, if'n ya should happen, by some strange, delusional trickery of th Gods, to win...
                    Also, I cannot, with a clear conscience, advocate tellin any SWMBO that th deck is actually quite open, space-wise, when they aren't out there...
                    Decidedly, DON'T Do THAT, either.
                    At least, til yer walkin's better, an th stitches have well healed over...

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The smile always gets you

• wu7y
                    wu7y commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah. After 53 years of wedded bliss one would think I should have known better but it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. Main problem in my life is that my sense of humor often gets in the road of my good sense. Was something of a problem in my 20 years as a criminal court trial judge. I wouldn't trade it for anything but it was a character building experience.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here