Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justify My Number of Cookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimLinebarger
    commented on 's reply
    I don't care who you are, tha's funny right thar!

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Along with a new ironing board and vacuum cleaner.

• klflowers
    replied
    Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down...

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    replied
    Just buy it and gift it to her as a birthday present.

Leave a comment:

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    JimLinebarger Every few months I get an itch to get an offset but then remember proper wood might be hard to come by around here. I would assume there would be places in Greenbluff where you could get some apple or peach from trees they cut down but oak or hickory would be tough to source.

• JoeSousa
    commented on 's reply
    And a Ranch Kettle for when stuff doesn't fit into the 26.

• jumbo7676
    replied
    Be careful. That's exactly where I was when I decided I wanted to try something new. Had a GMG Daniel Boone pellet and a Weber Spirit gasser. Decided I needed to add charcoal to the mix so I started keeping an eye on Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace for some Weber kettles and was surprised how often you can find good deals on cookers in good condition. So I added a used Weber kettle premium in decent shape for $50 and a 14-inch Weber Smokey Mountain that I had never intended to buy but decided it was worth the $75. So one more cooker than planned... but once you start looking for those deals each day, it's hard to stop. What if you miss that diamond in the rough?

I kept checking even though I had no need to buy anything and I found a Weber Performer Premium in great shape except for the one-touch cleaning system that needed to be replaced. I got the price on that down to $100. How could I pass that up?

Justification for 3 new cookers wasn't as hard as I thought. "I'm just trying out some new toys to figure out what I like and can sell the ones that don't get used often." I may have convinced myself that was true, but I don't think my wife was buying it. Considering how little money was actually spent on it all, she let it slide. Fortunately, she is not a Pit member and had no way of knowing that the fun (spending) had only just begun.

I found myself with a gasser, pellet pooper, two kettles and a WSM. All the cookers I need, right? Yes, but now I need a Slow n Sear, the must-have for the Weber kettle. Hey, why not get the Drip n Griddle and EasySpin grate while I'm at it? You save a few bucks when you bundle, so how could I not!? That would be irresponsible. Bring 'em on.

I hear the Vortex does magical things to chicken. I should probably get one of those. With two kettles, the Vortex could go in one while the SnS is in the other. It makes too much sense. Let's do it!

I'm sorry, sweet Spirit, am I neglecting you? Let's get you some shiny new GrillGrates to show how much I still care.

I can cook so much food now with all of the extra cooking space, I should get a FoodSaver so I can keep it all.

My XR-50 can't be used with the GMG on the deck and the kettles on the patio at the same time. FireBoard to the rescue!

Something about meat spinning above hot coals, basting in its own juices is so incredibly enticing. A kettle rotisserie attachment was high on my list of wants, but I did manage to resist the urge of buying one while giving myself some time to play with all of the other new purchases. Then kill2grill had to go and post about Lamb Shawarma. Now my brain (which seems to defy all known medical science and actually resides in my stomach) is telling me I need to hurry up and buy one for shawarma, gyros, chickens and roasts. So I'll be ordering one of those this week.

So that's the cautionary tale of how I got from where you are now to where I am today. A gasser, a pellet grill, a desire for something different, and not even the slightest bit of self-control. I'd say I hope you can control yourself more than I did, which really shouldn't be hard for most human beings, but then again I plan on having a lot more fun outdoors this year than I would without all of these wonderful new toys to play with. I regret nothing... as long as my wife doesn't find out I've spent 4X more on accessories than I did on the budget-friendly cookers.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Yea don't go there, that's dangerous territory.....

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    "...for so long it's not true. Wanted a new cooker but need to learn how to chew."

• Beefchop
    replied
    Nothing, really. You can grill with the Weber and low n' slow with the Daniel Boone, and it looks like you've chosen equipment that is very user friendly and convenient. I've never owned a gas grill or a pellet smoker. I have eaten food cooked on a gas grill, and it's been just fine, but never had Q from a pellet smoker so I can't say what it is like with respect to BBQ flavor vs. wood or charcoal smokers.

Are you itching for something more hands on? If so then I'd say skip the charcoal cookers (i.e. Kamado, WSM, cabinet, kettle) and go right to wood cooking. Most charcoal cookers require some learning curve but once you dial them in and perfect your fire management they become pretty much like your equipment, i.e. "set and forget". I'd go with either a Santa Maria grill or a quality offset, depending on whether you like to grill or slow cook your food more.

The justification is...try something cooked over wood coals!

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    When you add up the yearly costs of all the oil of aphrodite and dust of the grand wazoo that wives buy each year, another outdoor cooker is cheap.

You didn't hear that from though.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    Weber kettle/sns combo. And just tell her "honey, I am the man of the house, and I wanted it, so I got it". Then duck. And run. Fast.

Leave a comment:

• ILikePigButts
    commented on 's reply
    I just got the new Weber Genesis S-335 last week and love it

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    Mr. Bones has enough cookers to declare to your wife you are living in poverty. You might try that in the Pit you’re not keeping up with the Boneses.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Weber kettle w/SnS. Maybe some GG's for the gas-passer.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here