Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Garetz (mgaretz) here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Garetz (mgaretz) here

Hi Everyone,

I'm in Northern California (San Ramon, in the East Bay of SF). I love to cook all manner of things. I also occasionally play bluegrass rhythm guitar and I'm a computer geek from way back. Been on and moderating forums back before the internet when all we had was dial-up and 300 baud modems were the fastest we had. At one point I was deep into beer brewing - owned one of the first on line homebrew shops and eventually a microbrewery. Sold both a long while ago. The homebrew store still exists, the brewery didn't make it, despite taking several prestigious awards including gold/silver/bronze medals at the Great American Beer festival and Best of Show at the California State Fair. Hardly drink any beer at all now!

My retirement job is travelling around the country as an embroidery, sewing and quilting educator. Some months, especially the summer, I'm home a lot. Others I'm on the road 3-4 weeks a month.

When I'm home I do all the cooking. I love to create recipes. I have a not-often-updated cooking blog at www.markiscooking.com that has a few of them.

I own a Weber Genesis gas grill with GrillGrates that primarily gets used for reverse searing and a Smoke Hollow vertical propane smoker that I never use any more. A little over a year ago my wife got me a Traeger Jr pellet grill, which I immediately upgraded with an Ortech controller. After using it for a year, I finally got tired of the small pellet hopper and constantly having to babysit the temperature (despite it being sold as a set-it and forget-it grill), so I bought a Rec Tec, primarily based on recommendations of this site. Couldn't be happier!

I've posted a lot of my cooks over in the comments in the regular section of this site.

Mark

Mark welcome! We look forward to seeing some of those cooks now posted in the recipe section where members will be able to search for them and view them as needed. Please take a few moments, if you haven't already, to read my welcome letter as well as the tip on how to fill out your signature, then kick back and relax for a spell

Pit Boss

Comment

Hi Mark, glad to see you here!

Comment

Hey Mark, good to meat you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here