Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fzxdoc (Kathryn) here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fzxdoc (Kathryn) here

I've followed this site for a few years now, ever since I wanted to learn how to do brisket on a gas grill. Meathead didn't let me down. I followed his instructions as if it was a scientific experiment. The results were good.

That was in my pre-smoker days (in this particular lifetime, anyway). In fact, it convinced me to get a smoker. After 3 years of research I'm now a proud new owner of a Pit Barrel Cooker, and am lovin' it! I still use my Weber Summit S670 gas grill for the everyday fast stuff too.

This site is awesome and I'm so grateful to have a place to come for the last word in Q-ing. Plus the PBC forum here rocks.

I'd hang around and chat but I've got some tri-tip to cook on my new toy.

Kathryn

Kathryn welcome! You and I love this site for the same reason. Science applied to good food. I hope to see that Tri Tip posted here later. One tip. I recommend taking the tri out of the PBC around 115F, then searing it on your Summit. Regardless, let us know how it turns out! Pit Boss Sent from my iPhone.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for that tip to reverse sear, David. Will do. Good to know the optimum temp to take it out of the PBC. Summit is feeling neglected since PBC arrived on the scene and will be happy to feel its jets going again.

Ditto with photos, assuming I can pre-empt husband's pounce on the steak. I'll have to be quick about it. : )

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
        Thanks for the welcome and thanks for that tip to reverse sear, David. Will do. Good to know the optimum temp to take it out of the PBC. Summit is feeling neglected since PBC arrived on the scene and will be happy to feel its jets going again.

Ditto with photos, assuming I can pre-empt husband's pounce on the steak. I'll have to be quick about it. : )

Kathryn

Glad to help. You CAN leave the tri tip in the PBC for the whole cook and you'll get a great result. I just like mine seared. The PBC doesn't really do seared

This will also give youre Summit a chance as you said to flex its jets. Win Win!

What kind of physics are you in? Teaching? Research? Specialization? I went straight theoretical physics for my undergrad, then decided I'd rather fly airplanes than do research, so I joined the USAF.

Comment

I've done tri-tip both ways - with reverse sear and without. Either way they come out great. I advise using MH's Big Bad Beef Rub on it (I use the version before he took out the salt - 2 tbs - and I also cut the pepper to 2 tbs).

I'll be doing one tonight as a matter of fact - with reverse sear. Pictures tomorrow!

Comment

Kathryn

Very nice to meet you!

Comment

Welcome Fzxdoc Kathryn. Glad to have you here as well!

Comment

Hey, thank you all for the warm welcomes.

Mgaretz and David, thanks for the addtional info on the Tri-tips. Mine turned out pretty doggone tasty, I've got to say. Leftovers tonight. I can hardly wait.

David--clinical (hospital) physics--medical radiation/nuclear physics.

Kathryn

Comment

Hey, thank you all for the warm welcomes.

Mgaretz and David, thanks for the addtional info on the Tri-tips. Mine turned out pretty doggone tasty, I've got to say. Leftovers tonight. I can hardly wait.

David--clinical (hospital) physics--medical radiation/nuclear physics.

Kathryn
                  Gotcha, so are you in charge of radioactive isotopes used in radiology or something? Evaluation of equipment performance, something like that?

Comment

Radiology, Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Oncology, David, plus Radiation Safety for employees and patients thrown in for good measure.
                    K.

Comment

Got it. Thanks!

Comment

Ms. Kathryn,

I have read most of your posts on the PBC Review thread and have a respect for your pursuit of details, such as our mutual appreciation of David's Excel spreadsheet for tracking individual smoke sessions. However I must admit that your cut and paste capture documentation of the many PBC tips, tricks, recipes and results is most intriguing to me. Perhaps you would like to bring it to the attention of the Glanvilles? Maybe Noah and/or Amber would also appreciate your efforts to collect some of the fine tuning approaches taken by the Amazing Ribs moderators and members in producing mouthwatering feasts.

For example - NO where ever had I heard of grinding smoked brisket before I read that Jerod uses this approach! I am also benefiting from your ramp up of production and subsequent sharing of procedure plus pictures of your results.

Thank you and all of the others who are daily expanding the knowledge base of result on the PBC. The AR community is accelerating my learning curve for the PBC.

Respectfully - Michael
                        My PBC is on order!

Comment

Hey, Michael, thanks for the shout out. I'm such a newbie with the PBC that it's a thrill to know I've been able to provide even the teensiest bit help to anyone.

You're going to love your PBC, no doubt. The worst part is waiting for it to come. It got so I was stalking the FedEx guy as he drove around the 'hood every afternoon until mine finally arrived. I gave it to myself for Mother's Day (I'm good at self-gift giving (grin)), and it arrived exactly 5 weeks later.

Yup, Jerod, David, Max and some of the others are flat out amazing in the cooks they do and in the knowledge they share. They're the biggest reasons (besides Meathead of course) why I signed up for the Pitmaster Club.

I'll be posting some of the hints I've culled and put in my Word document here in The Pit one of these fine days.

In the meanwhile, keep humming Carly Simon's "Anticipation" as you stalk your own Fed Ex guy's truck. I hope it arrives soon.

Kathryn

Comment

In the meanwhile, keep humming Carly Simon's "Anticipation" as you stalk your own Fed Ex guy's truck. I hope it arrives soon.

Kathryn
                            And if you see the police driving by with their lights on while stalking the FedEx guy and humming aloud, RUN, they're probably looking for you!

Comment

Anticipation - was ruined as a good song for me once that Heinz Ketchup hijacked it and over used it for their marketing ploy. I do still like their ketchup though. PBC lead time, once realized, is what got me off the fence and to buy one. Obviously all of the fine pictures posted of spectacular smoked Q did a bit of encouragement also. By the time it arrives I should have my new house moved into and will be able to produce some great Q for my sweet wife to enjoy.

BTW I did get to the frist PBC posting in the thread - not all read as of yet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here