Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy from Vancouver, (Not BC) Washington (Not DC) or Vantucky :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Vancouver, (Not BC) Washington (Not DC) or Vantucky :)

Transplanted Southerner (from Jacksonville, FL) living the past 19 years in the Pacific Northwest. My wife & I met 19 years ago online in an IRC Chat Room, got married a year later (18 years in July). Didn't realize we, along with a few others in the group, were going to be trendsetters, as the whole "Online dating" thing didn't exist yet like it does now.
    Started playing with "BBQ Sauce" in my late teens, which at the time comprised of mixing Hinez Ketchup with Gulden's Mustard, some Liquid smoke, steak sauce and Worcestershire sauce. I went to Culinary school almost a decade ago, and today I work for a local grocery store as a "Promotions Clerk". I stand behind a counter, sample products, do some recipe work, and help our customers not only learn what we sell, but how to use it. Last year, I introduced my own variant of the Alabama White Sauce from this site to the customers. They, like myself, were hesitant at first, but they decided to trust me, and it was probably second only to to the Gooey Butter Cake in popularity of recipes I've personally brought to the department.

For several years, I've made a Coca Cola based red BBQ sauce, which I'm still tweaking, but it's been popular with friends. I do a simple mustard & cider vinegar sauce for pulled pork, and I've recently been playing around to make the Alabama white sauce my own as well. This past year, I started learning to make my own mustards, and ketchup is up next. One of my failed, "this is way too hot" mustard experiments turned in to a Cheerwine BBQ sauce, when I couldn't bring myself to throw it out. I poured in a can of soda, some tomato sauce and my chili powder blend, and it came out pretty good, wish I had been measuring.

And just think, that's the short version of my BIO

Welcome mhalbrook! Glad to have you here. It sounds like you have a lot of experience to offer folks.

It looks like you may have already read through our homework assignment, but if not here it is.

Cheers!

Comment

Welcome to the pit. Looking forward to you recipes and cooks.

Comment

Welcome, mhalbrook! I got a real kick out of your subject line. I have a sweatshirt that says "Vancouver, not BC, Washington, not DC!

Comment

• mhalbrook
          mhalbrook commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably where I got the line from lol. You from here too I presume?

Welcome!!! Lets get some of those recipes up on the Pit. I am sure there are tons of people waiting to try those. (myself included)

Comment

Mhalbrrok, no, I am in the Washington, as in DC, area. My sister lives in Vancouver, not BC.

Comment

Welcome! Looking forward to your contributions
            Last edited by The Burn; February 18, 2015, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! We're glad you're here. Coincidentally I met the DW online 16 years ago well before that kind of thing was normal. We've been married 15 years now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here