Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member from SE Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from SE Texas

Howdy from SE Texas. I've been grilling and smoking most of my life but I am always learning something new. The information and food science on this site is amazing so far, and I've just started exploring the site. In addition to making BBQ, I'm a home brewer and an award-winning mead maker.

There really are not any good brick and mortar BBQ joints around here so if I want good BBQ I have to make it myself. Its a sacrifice (what with all the beer I have to consume as I wait for the finished product) but I'll manage somehow Some of the local food trucks make excellent BBQ but chasing them from location to location is a pain.

I have a kamado (a Bayou Classic Cypress Grill) and a larger trailer-mounted pit that I'm still getting the hang of. It is a wood hog and I need to repaint it and fix a few leaky spots so I can regulate the fire better. I really want to replace the fire box with a square one that has a side door as well as the top that opens, plus make a better air vent in the side door. I also like to do a little Dutch oven cooking and sometimes build a fire in the yard for this purpose.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2378.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	611734
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2602.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	611732Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2604.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	611733

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    SO glad to have ya here, to learn along with me!

Looks like ya got yerself some NICE rollin stock, there, as well!!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      First ride I ever owned, at 14, was a 50 Chebbie 5-window truck...62 235 in it, three on th tree, only one small rust spot.
      $200, took a LONG time to earn/save that, back then...

Love to see yer 52, anytime!!!!

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought this in 1999 for $1000 and basically restored it other than the drive train. There was a '62 235 in this truck until a year ago. The oil pump slipped off the distributor shaft and the engine locked up, throwing the #1 rod and turning the cam into 2 inch pieces of scrap. Both sides of the block blew out and the drive train locked up. I did a 180 and wound up (thank God) in the center turn lane. The truck now has a freshly built '59 235 and runs better than before.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      The newly rebuilt motor runs great. In hindsight the '62 motor was never right.

That is a bomb truck there 58. They also don’t call this plac e Amazing for nuthin. Welcome, eat good & have fun.

Comment

Beautiful cook, truck, and stick burner. Welcome from Florida.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! With your equipment you look ready to cook.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. You look set to go! Glad you are here.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Great looking equipment!

Comment

Welcome and I love the truck!

Comment

Greetings from Colorado ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from Houston! Sounds like you’ve got some great cookers, beware of MCS, (More Cooker Syndrome), it runs rampant ‘round here! Beautiful truck, too. It was hard to tell in the picture in my phone, but the color, is that Chevy’s Nantucket Blue? My 67 Camaro is the same color.

Comment

• 58limited
                      58limited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the welcome. The color of the truck is Ford Light Metallic Blue from their 1999 color selection. I originally restored the truck for my dad as a surprise, I asked his opinion on what color to paint it and he pointed out a Ford truck in this color - he had no idea I was doing this for him.

• RickyBobby
                      RickyBobby commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s awesome! It’s very similar to Nantucket. Beautiful truck either way!

Welcome from Central Tejas!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota!

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Thanks for all of the welcome messages. I've been perusing the site on and off all afternoon, looks like I'll be up late tonight doing the same.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                            Michael_in_TX commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That's kinda how my first night on the site went. How the heck did it become 2 am?

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here