Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new member.....Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from a Utah newbie, Meathead's spatchcock article inspired me and I started researching different methods. found an Argentinian one whereby instead of butterflying the whole bird, you separate the legs and thighs as one piece, kinda looks like giant frog legs, and leave the breast whole with the cavity intact. it allows you to stuff the cavity and move the legs and breast separately around the grates and even flip them for more even cooking. I've done it 2-3 times and it is unbelievably moist and evenly cooked. If you want, I can post the link.

Comment

• Willard
      Willard commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. That sounds great. Please do post the link.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting approach. Thanks for sharing it!

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-gri...-kitchn-212710

While this method is for gas grilling, I just transfer the technique to my smoker, and I definitely start the breast first and flip it several times, and try to keep the chamber temp in the 250-275 range. Make EXTRA SURE if you stuff the breast cavity, stuff it with HOT dressing, and that you remove the stuffing and bake it to 165 degrees minimum after the bird is done.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, when I stuff, I cook the stuffing for about an hour in the oven at 325F while starting the bird going. That takes care of the safety issues, as well as reducing the time for the final cook phase.

• Willard
      Willard commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a great method. Thanks for posting.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's the detailed method, Willard : https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ockwell-turkey

Welcome back, and you opened with a cook! Looking forward to your partakin' for the next few years...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here