Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Northern KY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Northern KY!

Hello from Kentucky!

Coy from Pitts & Spitts, the maker of a pellet grill/smoker I’m having built, recommended I come here to ask all my smoking questions and learn a bunch! So here I am:-)

My relationship with wood and smoke began when I threw a piece of wood onto a charcoal grill and Eureka, it was love at first taste and smell!

Somehow I ended up with a cheap bullet charcoal grill that I attempted to smoke some meat on. Temperature management was awful, so that didn’t last long. So off to Craigslist I went and bought a $25 electric smoker and that went pretty well but I didn’t love it. It was too small.

I then decided I would be a smart person and buy a Masterbuilt propane smoker. I liked everything about it except temperature management was once again a big problem. I tried all kinds of regulator modifications but nothing worked. I was frustrated and gave it away.

So so that brings me to today. I have a pellet smoker on the way soon and I’m going to need some help. Help with every aspect of smoking meat, the cooking, adding flavors, and making it great!

So thanks I’m advance to anyone who helps me in the future, and I look forward to one day being able to help others as well!

Mark

We do have many pellet pooper officianados here. They will be along shortly. Welcome, eat good & have fun!
    Last edited by FireMan; November 5, 2018, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. You are going to love the convenience of a pellet smoker. Once you get it I would suggest you do a toast test to learn all the hot and cooler spots. If you are not familiar with that, just put white bread on the grills, and you will be able to find those areas that run hotter. Alos ask any questions that come up. We will be here to try and get them answered.

Comment

• MarkInNorthernKY
        MarkInNorthernKY commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a good idea:-) Thanks!!

Welcome to the Pit, from Central KY!

Comment

• MarkInNorthernKY
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve in E-Town! I went to a BBQ place in E-Town once. Close to the interstate I believe. Big place:-)

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Texas Outlaws. I used to think their ribs were awesome (and they are good), but then I found this site and I never want to buy restaurant bbq anymore.

Welcome from Colorado ... you’re going to really enjoy that pellet pooper.

Comment

• MarkInNorthernKY
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I lived in Boulder from 1976 to 1986. I miss Colorado. I'll figure the pooper out... got to get used to calling it a pooper :-)

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I can’t help you with pellet cooker temp management, since I cook on a Big Green Egg. But, I am sure there are plenty in the Pit who can help. Many of the cooking techniques are transferable from one cooker to another, so I can be of help there - especially with a Boston Butt which I would recommend for you 1st cook on your new pellet smoker.
        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; November 6, 2018, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• MarkInNorthernKY
          Editing a comment
          There is nothing a good pork butt can't cure! Great idea! Thanks, Mark

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
        Glad to have ya here, to learn along with me!
        I'm lookin forward to yer pellet cooker adventures...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Mark.

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the PIT. Don't forget about the recipes on the public side - AR. There's plenty there to try right off the bat!

and don't forget the pics...
            Last edited by JGo37; November 5, 2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Welcome from southern IN, You will probably like a little more smoke that you receive on a pellet grill, I have a Rec Tec and love it, When I want more smoke I use a smoke tube, there about 10/15 bucks. On my controller, it has a extreme smoke setting under 250 which works well, as the wife sometime's do not like as much smoke as men. Buy meatheads book it will help you more than know.

Comment

• MarkInNorthernKY
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I think the pellet pooper will work out fine because my wife does like a little lighter smoke than I do. That’s one of the reasons I chose a pellet smoker :-). Of all the pellet smoker review videos I saw on YouTube, the Pitts & Spitts smoker visibly had more fine blue smoke in the videos. I did pick up one of those amazing tubes for my dad and he does not use it, might swipe it!

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sticking another welcome from middle Indiana on this conversation since @rand56 is representing the land north of the Ohio River. My buddy just got a Traeger and loves it. I think he smoked for six days straight when he first got it.

Welcome from Boston. I have a pellet cooker myself and love it. Can't argue with set it & forget it! Lots of good info on here though.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I work in Boone County and live in Cincinnati.

Comment

• MarkInNorthernKY
                Editing a comment
                Hi neighbor! Maybe one of these days we can meet up. I have a new grill on the way so maybe after the new year we could meet and share what foods and techniques make our families happy. Just a thought:-). Mark

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here