Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a new member, but I am a first time poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a new member, but I am a first time poster

I've been reading stuff on this site for 2-3 years now. Love the website, and I have a signed copy of Meathead's book. I currently own both a 22 inch and a 26 inch weber grills. Love them. have used the slow & sear on the bigger grill and the smokenator 2000 on the smaller one. I finally purchased my dream smoker. The 20" Horizon RD Special Marshall Smoker. One problem. It arrived yesterday, without thermometers and a manual. I talked to Horizon, and they are sending out. That said, I would like to break it in as soon as possible. Any advice is welcome.

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help. However, I'm sure that someone will be along in a bit who can help.

Comment

Glad you are posting, but I know nothing about your cooker.

Comment

since ya jus introduced yerself,

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

I have a Horizon 20" Classic, what would ya like to know / how may I be of any assistance to ya, brother/ (sister?)
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 10, 2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Well yer battin a 1000 for us’ns Who can’t help ya. But as you said, but, welcome, eat good & have fun, especially with yer new cooker.
          Spoke to soon Ol Bonesy to the rescue.

Comment

Hey Schimmel. Congrats on the dream smoker! Feels good don't it? Don't forget to post some pics We're (ok I'm)a nosy lot.

Comment

While I don't have the Horizon, I do have an offset, and have used several offsets, both large trailer mounted and small patio models, over the years.

I would advise taking out the food grates, giving them a good washing with the hose and some dish soap, and then build a fire in the firebox to dry everything out, and burn off any manufacturing residue. Try to get it up to 350 or so for maybe an hour. After that I would break it in with a good cook of ribs/butts/brisket/whatever!

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd also recommend a good spray down with some Pam or other cooking spray before the burn in.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Good idea Troutman - it's been so LONG since I had a new cooker I've forgotten that part. I do spray oil on my new cooking grates when replacing them in my Weber Kettle. Next replacement will be stainless so that won't be an issue.

Thank you for your continued support! We do appreciate it!

Comment

Greetings from Colorado ...

Comment

I have a question back at you:

Was it worth it, to destroy any chance you might have had to win the Gold Medal Giveaway?

Just kidding, welcome to the discussion!
                  Last edited by Mosca; October 10, 2018, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ya still got a chance at Th Gold, trust me...
                    Post away!
                    SchimmelHaus

Click image for larger version  Name:	Smoker.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.94 MB ID:	577525

This is my new smoker. I plan to break it in this weekend. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice collection !!!

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beautiful!

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is a really nice unit. You will love it. jfmorris 's advice about the grill's is spot-on and Troutman 's about the spray down. I use olive oil for the initial seasoning and then spam after cleanings.

That is a piece of art.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Post some cooks off that nice new smoker.

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. Great looking smoker. Man, now I need one too. Mr. Bones , why am I not surprised you own one too.

Comment

So where ya been, we been waitn' for ya ??

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here