Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from Scraper on Staten Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from Scraper on Staten Island

NOt exactly BBQ country....is there such a place probably not. Anyway. I'm an occasional smoker with a Weber kettle with an IQ110 on my patio. It has been frustrating/fun getting it to behave. Much tinkering and guessing why it's too hot, too cold, changing in spite of the 110. Ever feel lost in the land of varying variables? I have. Much improved after I sealed the bottom vents with duct tape and clamped the lid tight with small vise grips. Now if I close it up tight the fire actually goes out! Square one. The 110 works, got some ribs done. Question...assuming eertyhig is in place how does the damper on the front of the 110 Change the temp?

Welcome from southeast Michigan! Answers to your questions will magically appear in posts to come .

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ain't that true!

Sealed bottom vents? Does not compute. Welcome aboard, with a little help that you will receive here you will be smokin the night away. Unseal the bottom vents on your Weber 22” (I assume). Take a deep breath. Open vents just a bit & work from there. Your bottom vents are critical to controling temp in your kettle. Report back. Eat good & have fun.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      He's using a temp controller, so no need to open the bottom vents.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB oh! To high tech for me.

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Here's how I set up my kettle for smokin' with a temp controller.

Close the bottom vent.
        Install the fan.
        Open the top vent ~ 1/4. This is not super critical using a fan, but you need to have it in the general area for the temp you want.
        Add 4 or 5 binder clips if the lid leaks - whatever it takes to stop smoke leaking around the lid.

Please note that I also drilled a hole for the thermometer probes so that they would not keep the lid from sealing. You can put the wires through the top vent, but that's a pain.

The fan damper controls the air flow. I would start with it wide open, and if you can't keep the temp low enough with the top vent, then shut the damper down to 1/2 and try again. Keep adjusting until you can get the temp you need.

EDIT TO ADD: I agree with a comment from below - a Slow N Sear will greatly aid you in maintaining a set temp.
        Last edited by RonB; September 19, 2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've got a lavalock gasket on my 22, and no longer need binder clips.

Welcome from BBQ country....Texas !!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!!

Comment

Welnome from TN

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from WI. Sorry but I do not use a temp controller on my Weber so I am no help.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit which is the place of many solutions!

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  and a few suspensions and colloids

Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

It's been too many years since I owned a kettle for me to be of much help. I can, however, say: Welcome from Colorado.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit

Glad to have ya here, lookin forward to more from ya!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
                      • Check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. Please visit this link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php
                      • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here