Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lemmings ... you just need one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lemmings ... you just need one!

Hi all,

I finally decided to join the pitmaster's club after realising that I've got way more than $24 value from this site over the years. Sadly, I've probably got more than 24lbs from this site too, but ah well!

I'm an expat, stuck (living seems too strong a word) in London, England but I still like to grill and smoke. Because I'm an expat, you can often find steaks on my grill which you don't seem to see around here often. Don't ask me to grill chicken that hasn't been partially precooked though - our nearest hospital has long waiting times

I'm trying to learn how to get more out of my Weber 57cm kettle. I recently bought a smokenator after reading some stuff here, and it's clear that my previous incompetence with the snake / minion CAN be overcome.

Welcome and thanks for the support from afar!!

I too have a 57cm Kettle. I have a Vortex on the way.

Comment

You've come to the right place, welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
        Welcome and thanks for the support from afar!!

I too have a 57cm Kettle. I have a Vortex on the way.
        Thanks ! I've only seen the vortex since signing up. How much of your grill space does that take away from indirect cooking ? Is there still space for ribs on a 57cm ?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Only ribs I will be doing is country style ribs aka sliced up pork butt, since they are similar in size to chicken wings.

I would utilize a rib rack and 2-zone for pork or beef ribs. I've used a rib rack for beef back ribs, not short ribs.

I think if you're using the metric system, you have been been fully assimilated.

Comment

• Anonymouslemming
          Anonymouslemming commented
          Editing a comment
          Nah - I come from the metric system in the first place - I'm a Zimbabwean -> South African -> British... so up until England, it was metric all the way.

It's only since getting to the UK that I've had to learn anything imperial. For the first year here, I could NOT understand why we bought our milk in 1.136 litre bottles. Back home, it was 1, or 2. It turns out that when they were forced to go metric, some places didn't change their bottling but legally had to sell in metric quantities. So they still sold 2 pints, but marked it 1.136l for quite some time

Having said that, there's some weird imperial bits we cling to. Most people I work with measure their weight in stones. We still drive in miles. We buy petrol in litres, but measure fuel economy in mpg. But we can't compare our fuel economy to US vehicles, because our gallon is smaller.

Anyway, enough rambling about why base-10 is the best system (people don't like it when I take my shoes off to do math). It's really a great place to live besides the weather and the food. And at least I can fix my own food

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been wanting to move out there and check the place out for a while. I don't use the metric system a lot any more but I did a lot of science in school that required it. I was a mechanic for a time as well, I worked on foreign cars to I used metric wrenches, my buddies would have a hard time telling you the next size up for their standard wrenches without looking.

Welcome the the Pit Lem

Comment

Welcome! London is a long way... I bet they will go crazy for your BBQ!

Mine is only 46 cm wide LOL

Comment

Would be great to hear some of your experiences from across the pond. Different ingredients and new ways of doing things.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouslemming View Post

I'm an expat, stuck (living seems too strong a word) in London, England
              Stuck?!? Stuck?!? you must be doing it all wrong! http://www.timeout.com/london

Good to have you aboard. Good choice of grill and gadget. You'll be teaching my countrymen BraaiBraaiQue in no time!

Matt

Comment

Hi and welcome to the Pit

Comment

Originally posted by mtford72 View Post

Stuck?!? Stuck?!? you must be doing it all wrong! http://www.timeout.com/london

Good to have you aboard. Good choice of grill and gadget. You'll be teaching my countrymen BraaiBraaiQue in no time!

Matt
                  London's a great place for the first decade or so. And it's one of the top city destinations in the world to visit IMHO. But living here is different. It's changed a lot since I got here. There's lots of urban stuff to do, but the weather makes living outdoors harder than my soft sensibilities would like. And I'm only in a city for the money

As far as BBQ goes, I make sure and tell people what I'm cooking when I invite them round. Most people have learned that if they're invited for a braai, they can bring their meat, but if they're invited for a BBQ, they should bring beers instead because there's no place for their burgers
                  Last edited by Anonymouslemming; January 23, 2015, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
                    Welcome! London is a long way... I bet they will go crazy for your BBQ!

Mine is only 46 cm wide LOL
                    My grilling reviews are generally good. Whenever we go to a party that includes outdoor cooking, I normally steal the cook duties. Beats trying to make small talk

I was flabbergasted a few years back - was one of my first parties here, and I'd stolen the grill and was merrily cooking away. I looked behind me to find my beer, and found about 6 people all in a line with plates. Never seen anything like it before (or thankfully since!). My wife still kills herself laughing about it. That's the day I realised that I have a cushy job and could never cut it as a short order cook.

Comment

A belated welcome Anonymouslemming! Sounds like you've had some interesting life experiences thus far.

If you need help mastering chicken we can sure get you pointed in the right direction. You have a great Weber, all you need now is a good digital thermometer and some simple tips and you'll nail it first time. I do chicken a lot since it's (for now) by far the cheapest meat at the store.

Comment

• Anonymouslemming
                        Anonymouslemming commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks My life is interesting, yeah - we work hard to keep it that way or I get bored and whiny.

I was spoiled with a Maverick ET733 dual probe setup for Christmas which seems to be a lot more stable and reliable than my homemade solution which crashed every time it lost connectivity with the WiFi (https://github.com/Anonymouslemming/Braaiduino) so I'm good for the thermometer. I've also got an instant read on order.

So feel free to tip away thanks!

Here is a chicken cook I did last night. Don't worry about the nachos part, but the first couple pics show how I do chicken on the Weber kettle. It's a foolproof method, and since I don't have (and will not buy) a Smokenator, this is the way I do it indirect. Smokenator is the same basic principle though, just creating two zones.

For skin-on chicken, cook at 160-165C (~325F), I cooked mine at 190-200C (average 380-390F) last night, and it yielded a much crispier skin. 2 Breast pieces took just shy of an hour, maybe more like 40-45 min I didn't really watch the clock. Cook them to an internal temp of 70-75C (160-165F). Double check with your instant read in a couple places on each piece when you get it.

Cook the other pieces to a little higher IT, thighs wings and legs can handle the 80C (175-180F) range, and this is preferable since they are fattier and can be slimier at the breast temp of 70C, whereas breasts can be tough and cardboard dry at much higher than 75C.

That's all there is to it! If you go skinless, you can get away cooking at more traditional BBQ temps of 225F or whatever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                        Here is a chicken cook I did last night. Don't worry about the nachos part, but the first couple pics show how I do chicken on the Weber kettle. It's a foolproof method, and since I don't have (and will not buy) a Smokenator, this is the way I do it indirect. Smokenator is the same basic principle though, just creating two zones.
                        Awesome - thanks ! That's dinner one night next week sorted then

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here