Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Seattle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Seattle!

Hey there folks!
    I’m a retired guy, big fan of BBQ, but my cooking has always been charcoal or gas. As you would expect, more grilling than true BBQ. Then this summer my lovely wife surprised me with a Traeger pellet grill (Silverton), and it’s changed my life. Oh man, good smoked BBQ is just — well — something special.
    So far, I’ve pulled off some pretty delicious salmon, chicken, pork shoulder, and ribs. Am studying-up on brisket for a Labor Day weekend BBQ with family; (admitedly, a nail-biter for me). All of your posted suggestions, tips, tricks, and recipes - well, you’re a generous bunch. Thanks for taking time to share here. Looking forward to learning and comparing notes. Fun stuff!
    A special thanks to Meathead and the site team for making all this available. I started by following instructions here, my first ribs were covered in Memphis Dust, and the details for brisket have me hopeful for a good outcome. Thanks all!
    Cheers!
    Glen
    aka obiQsmoker

Welcome to the Pit from a couple county's north of you! I'm looking forward to hearing about your BBQ adventures with that new Traeger.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
        Glad yer here, to learn along with me!

Comment

Welcome to the pit! What a nice gift, getting a Traeger! You’re gonna do well with that brisket, just ask here if you need guidance.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, you can change it by simply visiting https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

• obiQsmoker
            obiQsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Henrik, good tips. Check.

Welcome from Maryland.
          If it is your first brisket I would recommend reading Eric’s primer https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...brisket-method if you haven’t already.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
            obiQsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Donw ! Appreciate the pointer to Eric’s how-to - I’m all over it.

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Yup, that Memphis Dust is somethin else or MMD as it is referred to. It produces awesome bark, he he. Welcome aboard, eat good and have fun!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I was in your area in June, and stopped a a small place south of Seattle called the Blue Whale serving BBQ. Go figure, but it was highly recommended by one of the town folks. I was skeptical, but the pulled Pork sandwich was excellent. I talked with the cook, and he said cooked on a commercial pellet smoker. I suspect that his quality was in part due to the attention he could give the small volume he cooked. The place was really small.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
                obiQsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                June’s a good time to be here - great tip about Blue Whale - gotta check ‘em out.

Welcome from Winnipeg.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Glen. Try a chuck roast - they keep like a butt, but to a higher temp for probe tender.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
                  obiQsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haven’t tried a chuck roast yet. Suggestions for recipe? Rub? Sauce (if any)?
                  I have SO much to learn.

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I either use Montreal Steak Seasoning or just salt and pepper as a rub. Cook it like a butt, but it will probably need to go a few degrees higher in temp before it is probe tender. I don't use a sauce, but you certainly can if you wish. After a cambro, shred it like pulled pork. It makes great sammies or tacos, or just about anything else.

• obiQsmoker
                  obiQsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huge thanks RonB! Sounds delicious. Appreciate the tips. I’ll let you know when I try one - gotta be soon - I’m hungry thinking about it.

Welcome from Seabeck...so far away...

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you sir!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit--Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome from Maple Valley, WA (and work in Bellevue .... when I’m not traveling ridiculously). When I’m home, I love to cook, smoke, grill, bbq ..... looking forward to hearing more about your BBQ adventures.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
                        obiQsmoker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We’re practically neighbors - hehe.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here