Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello from the Pacific NorthWest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello from the Pacific NorthWest

hello all,
    I have been using this website for a while now and decided to join the pit family. I do have a question, I'm looking to get a new Bluetooth thermometer and not sure what to go with. I was thinking the igrill 2 or the maveric 735. what is your guy's opinion? is there a better one out there that is not one of these two. thanks for the feed back.

Don’ know a thing about those thermometers. But, glad to see you hop on the Pit Train. Eat good and have fun!

Comment

Welcome to the pit. Always wanted to visit the great Pacific Northwest, I understand it has more interesting topography than flatlands Florida! The largest mountain here is actually a landfill, known to locals as "Mt. Trashmore".

Dont know much about BT thermometers, other than they work well and there are many to choose from. But I have heard good reviews from members who have the Maverick XR-50, they have 4 probes instead of just one. It isn’t Bluetooth but is wireless and has longer range.

Comment

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        hey... there's a mt. trashmore in Evanston Ill. as well

• cooter
        cooter commented
        Editing a comment
        yes, I'm truly blessed to live here were the mountains meet the sea.

Welcome to The Pit cooter

Comment

Why bluetooth? Many prefer RF and WiFi because the range is far greater and connectivity is far more reliable.

Comment

• cooter
          cooter commented
          Editing a comment
          I was going with Bluetooth just to keep the cost down. aren't wifi thermometers about $180

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah WiFi is spendy, but RF isn't. I use an older model Maverick ET-732 and an old baby monitor camera that effectively converts it to WiFi.

• cooter
          cooter commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, that could work thanks.

Welcome to the pit! Glad to have you! Most of us have more than one thermometer, and I think the general consensus is that RF is better than BT with respect to range. That said, I have the iGrill 2 myself, and with 'free sight' it works well.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, you can change it by simply visiting https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome from Snoqualmie Wa

Comment

Hello and welcome from Bellingham, WA

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

As Henrik said, RF is better than BT. Personally, I have a Thermoworks Smoke (no WiFi Gateway) and have never experienced any signal drops or any other problem.

Comment

I have used a Maverick ET 732 for the past couple of years with no problems. The base unit loses the signal every now and then and I have to pair it to the transmitter, but no biggie. My smokers and grills are right outside of the kitchen on my deck though, so the 300' max distance between transmitter and receiver is no problem.

I lived in Olympia, WA for a year or so a few years ago (OK, more like 35 years ago) - I really enjoyed it. I was broke when I moved there, so I used to take the Olympia brewery tour cause they would give out free samples. After the 3rd or 4th time, the tour guides just started putting me in a room and giving me a couple of beers instead of making me take the tour. After I started making money, I stayed loyal to the brand for quite awhile.

Comment

• For-A-Song
                  For-A-Song commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love it up here for sure, and the beer is amazing in this area now!

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up!

Personally, I would go with the FireBoard. It is Bluetooth and Wifi, has cook graphing and statistics, expands to a temp control device, 6 outlets for probes, 24/7 support. Monitor your Pit from anywhere. If you get the FireBoard Drive system, you can control the temp of your put from anywhere as well. I did a 22-hour cook this weekend with almost no fiddling and very little time at home, more time on the lake!

Comment

• cooter
                  cooter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm really thinking about that one. I could not do the drive because I use a treager. I had a smokey mountain smoker for awhile but my kids do so many sports did not have time to watch it all the time. So to get more smoke out of my treager I bought a cast iron pan and put wood chips on top of the heat shield.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                  Great to have ya here, lookin forward to more from ya!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from somewhere in NW Washington State!

I would suggest that you look at the Maverick XR-50 as @SmokeyGator said. I've been really happy with mine. 4 probes, 500 FT range, lots of other features. Check it out: https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...mometer-review

Comment

Welcome! Just moved back to Spokane, WA from Florida. Always good to have more from the Northwest.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here