Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member from Pittsburgh PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member from Pittsburgh PA

Hi, my name is Harry VanRiper. Growing up as an Army brat, I have lived many places including Germany, My father was a Mess Sergeant so I started cooking at the ripe old age of 9 years old. I was drafted in 1967 and ended up in Vietnam. I drove an armored personnel carrier. Four months in my track was hit by an RPG which took off my left are and a good piece of my left leg. I had a 15% chance of living after my surgery (God is good) because here I am. I am a physiologist an spent 34 years teaching nurses chemistry, microbiology , and algebra (retired Aug. 1, 2014.

After reading about the Primo oval on this site I purchased one, (I used a pellet fired smoker for 10+ years). I love this Primo, I smoked a whole strip roast as per Meatheads recipe. It was the best tasting roast I ever had. I am very excited about using the Primo and this site to improve my skills.

I guess you can tell I talked for a living LOL.
    Harry
    Last edited by HJVR; January 20, 2015, 07:56 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-17 15.58.14.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	54693Here is my new primo

Comment

Welcome, there is a lot of knowledge here, enjoy...

Comment

Hello Harry. Welcome.

Comment

Hi Harry , welcome to the Pit. Love that Primo Oval you have there.

Comment

Hi Harry... welcome!

Nice Primo ya got there... keep us up to date on your cooks!

Comment

Welcome Harry.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes, I have been reading this site incessantly. I am so happy being a math science guy i really like the explanations.

Comment

Welcome Harry! That's quite a story you have there, great to have you here after all you've been through in life. And to think, a person who understands algebra enough to teach it! Time to settle in and cook up some delicious meat now.

Great job on your signature too!

If you haven't yet, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

• HJVR
                    HJVR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are right, now that I am retired I am looking forward to doing more smoking. For Christmas I followed MH's beef roast instructions for a whole strip roast. It was the best roast beef I think I ever had. My wife is a Chef, and she was dubious about removing the fat cap etc. but the results speak for themselves. Thanks for the welcome!

So much for having time. We went to Israel & Rome, Then off to NYC Fancy Food Show. I am hoping to get serious about smoking very soon.

Comment

Glad your back. Thank You for your service. Any pics of your Primo in action?

Comment

You deserved the break! Now, time to focus: Cook meat, share pictures!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here