Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Hollywood, CA and Cedar Rapids, IA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Hollywood, CA and Cedar Rapids, IA!

I am a truck driver who lives and works in both Hollywood, CA and Cedar Rapids, IA. I was drawn to this site by the pastrami recipe (Katz). I experimented with it a couple times over a couple years using a cheap cut of brisket. It all came out pretty good, but not real tender. On the 3rd attempt, I bought the best Prime Beef Brisket I could from Lobel's of NY. I altered the recipe very little. Smoked at 174 to 190 degrees for 10 hours (9lb) using Cherry wood. Stall temperature was 160 degrees. I monitored the temperature closely over the 10 hours. Never above 190 and average about 182. I used a mop sauce every couple hours until the last 5 hours. It was cured for 10 days, then soaked in plain water for over a day changing the water often with purified water. The rub was left on overnight - I didn't have time for couple days. After smoking I refrigerated it in foodsaver vacuum bag, and I kept it under ice as I drove 2 days to cedar rapids from LA, CA. I steamed it for 5 hours at 225 degrees in the oven. It never got above 195 degrees - again - out of time - I had to get it ready to serve. I was taking it to my office for the staff in Iowa. I didn't know if it was any good or not, until I tasted it while carving. The BEST pastrami I have ever had! I have been eating at different Sandwich, Deli's, Jewish Delis in LA for 30 years. I am very discriminating when it comes to Pastrami. My office staff of about 6 people devoured it in less than 30 min. The common remark was "melt in your mouth" good. I answered questions for an hour or more about how it was made. They loved it. The crust stayed firm through carving.
    Attached Files

Nicely done! Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... nice pastrami!

Comment

Beautiful Job!
        Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
        Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 31, 2018, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Very well done. That looks so good. Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

Nicely done and welcome from Muscatine....

Comment

Isn’t it neat when you are a cooking hero for others? It's not so much the reviews but the joy you bring to others. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Doug. Congrats on a successful cook!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to the Pit and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and that fine piece of meat. Love me some Cantors and Katella Deli.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Good job on the pastrami.

Comment

Welcome to the pit - so little time, so many meats to try! Now I have to add pastrami to my list...

Comment

Hope you made Pastrami Reubens. If not, you're going to need to repeat the exercise to do that!

Comment

My gosh that's looks tasty. Welcome to the Pit, you pass the initiation test. Now, look for the QVQ version of that, it will up your game !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here