Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from da ATL! One of the first smokers I used was a SmokinTex I permanently borrowed from a friend who went overseas on business for a year. Learned a lot about the basics of low and slow plus smoke with that thing and turned out some pretty damn good que all for the price of a few watts and less than 10oz of wood! Which lake are you talking about bringing a pellet smoker to?!

Comment

• clinresga
      clinresga commented
      Editing a comment
      Oconee--if I get one, I'll have to invite you after I figure it out!

• gabulldog
      gabulldog commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful! My inlaws are toying with the idea of getting a place on Oconee, but who knows, they can never make their minds up!

Welcome from Western Mass. Where about in Atlanta? Spent a lot in time when I was a working slob. Alpharetta was home base. Have family in Marietta.

Comment

• clinresga
      clinresga commented
      Editing a comment
      Druid Hills, by the Emory campus. Sadly, I'm still a working slob. Even more sadly, though, that may change in the foreseeable future. Getting old!

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      So, right outside the ATL. i spent time in the city, but not near you. I was a working slob for 45 years. Now a retired lazy slob. Grilling and BBQ is now my job. Learning and experimenting.

Welcome the Pit from a Marietta Georgia native, transplanted to Huntsville, Alabama.

i can understand the lazy part, or at least not wanting to constantly fuss with the fire. You can do great BBQ on electric and propane smokers. My next one is either going to be a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 (I have natural gas outside). or a pellet smoker - probably one of the Grilla models.

The Pit Barrel Cooker is charcoal, but as hands off as charcoal can be, if you want an easy to use smoker that is portable.
    Last edited by jfmorris; July 22, 2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Some of the negative feedback comes from the man himself. Meathead, in his review of electric smokers, says "Electrics make really delicious food. But wood, pellets, charcoal, and even gas make food that is even more delicious." He goes on to compare them to a VW Beetle, with "live fire" smokers as Porsches. I know a bunch of electric smoker fanatics, like over at the Cookshack forum, who disagree. My take is that he's likely right, but the incredible convenience of the electric makes up for a lot, cuz I use it more!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        You have to do what suits yourself and your priorities. Nobody else's business from what I can see. Cook on!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here