Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craigen or CP, what ever works.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigen or CP, what ever works.

Hey all!

I am Craigen. I hail from all the way down in little old Auckland, New Zealand. I think I have read every single page on AR and have learnt so damn much!

So much in fact that I am contemplating quitting my job in IT and opening up a van based mobile food stall! The aim is to serve beautiful pulled pork buns (sandwiches) and tacos. A variation of MH's ribs and some other things too. Only actually thought of the idea seriously about a day or two ago so have been going through the process of researching permit requirements etc.

We have a serious lack of USA styled BBQ down here in NZ. There are, I think, about 3 or so places that actually do it, and only one of them does it right. I was born in South Africa in 1990 and moved to NZ when I was 7 years old. South Africans have a HUGE appetite and association with coal based BBQ and think that these roots is what makes me love the American style of BBQ so much. I have always been into food and am now one step closer to making my passion my lively hood.

I am sure you will be hearing a lot more from me trying to pick your brains on my journey to try and realise my dream!

CP.

Over and out.

Hi Craigen, welcome to the Pit

Comment

Welcome CP! You sure live in a beautiful land, I've always admired the scenery I've seen from NZ. Meathead has a great article on starting up a catering and/or restaurant business. It warns you of the hurdles you'll face. I trust you'll make a good decision & serve up some great food if you pursue it.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Welcome CP. New Zealand is one of the top places on my bucket list to visit.

Comment

Hey CP Welcome

Comment

Thanks everyone. New Zealand is beautiful, we sometimes forget how beautiful our backyard is! I try and get out into nature as often as I can so I don't forget.

It's crazy how people are all like "NZ is on the bucket list, I really wanna go!" and I have the same thoughts but towards going to the States! Planning a trip to NYC and Cali for December this year. One of my bucket list items is to see the USA! Would love to get to the south to appreciate some REAL BBQ.

Comment

Don't the smog & crime-ridden big cities spoil your impression, the US has some beautiful areas. I live here and have only seen a few of the many. My favorite spot (so far) is the Florida Keys, particularly Key West. Simple, humble and beautiful, but touristy yes.

Comment

• Craigen Perrie
                Craigen Perrie commented
                Editing a comment
                I am completely in love with the idea of NYC. Will be interesting to see if my idea of the city will match the reality! I definitely know that there are some amazing areas, wish I could spend a little more time to get to see them.

Maybe that will be the next trip to the States. First time see the big cities and the like, second time see the nature. Go camping somewhere (with a Weber of course) and enjoy some nature sounds like a plan to me.

Welcome to the pit Craigen.

Comment

Welcome CP, I look forward to your Posts and Pics as you pursue your passion.

Comment

Welcome and best of luck with your plans! If you come to the states and want to check out the BBQ in Central Texas, give me shout. I'd be glad to show you around here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here