Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kase, from SC I am a New Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kase, from SC I am a New Smoker

Brand new to this looking to buy a big smoker entertain and have a lot of company on our ranch, would like to know what everyone started with?

Welcome! Weber kettle.

Comment

• snctom
      snctom commented
      Editing a comment
      I have multiple PBC's. I routinely put 8 tri tip or 8 racks of ribs in one PBC. I figure 5-6 to people per tri tip. That + some side dishes will feed a lot of people.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Sure am glad to have ya join us, here...
    In answer to yer question, an open fire'd be my response...

Comment

Welcome from Colorado! What do you plan to typically cook? Do you plan to grill or smoke (or both). How many folks are you likely to be cooking for? As far as what I started with ... you wouldn't want that (a tiny cast iron hibachi as I recall).

Oh ... and it would help to know a bit about what kind of budget constraints you might have.

Comment

• Kase
        Kase commented
        Editing a comment
        40 people love butts, ribs, chicken and fish to smoke!!

MBMorgan has the right questions for you to get the best advice. Let’s hear from you withe the answers. I would add how much time do you want to spend tending a fire?

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        ... fer sure ...

• Kase
        Kase commented
        Editing a comment
        Do not want to just stand over it, but do not want anything electric. I am going to research a little on the gravity, reverse flow? Not really sure what all the differences are. Guess I will be doing homework tonight. You folks have been so kind thank you for the support!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Kase
        You folks have been so kind thank you for the support!
        We are more than glad to help ya, as best we all can.
        In fact, it's what we're all here, together, for.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 10, 2018, 06:47 PM.

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Started with charcoal/wood, But now at home a pellet smoker. use for everything, Welcome new Smoker, We Use a meadow creek in competition's.

Comment

Welcome. Get the hermungously biggest, gargantuan cooker you can get yer fists on. There will probably be more advice, even technical musings. But remember one thing & you’ll be alright man, biggest baddest is bestest! Eat good & have fun.

er. Ma’am or Ms. or what the heck, you are a PIT dudette now!
          Last edited by FireMan; July 7, 2018, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit from NC! A good place to start looking for cooker would be at "Ratings and Reviews" on the amazingribs.com Home page. What fuel do you want to use? Charcoal, wood, wood pellets. Each source has its pluses and minuses. Do you want to set it and sort of forget it, or do you want to be a little more hands on with minding the temp of the cook? Much to consider, but you will get a lot of great info here.

Comment

• Kase
              Kase commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve, I think I would like charcoal and wood. Do you know if there is a place in NC, SC that custom builds? Would love to pick your brain this will be my first time with all of this... I am a great cook outside of smoking so I would like to do this successfully! Do not mind tending, but not constant

• smokinsteve
              smokinsteve commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't know of a place that does custom builds, but there must be one. There isn't a lot to go wrong with most cookers. I have a pellet grill which I really enjoy. Sleeping through the night without worrying about the cook in progress is awesome.

Just in "Kase" you didn’t hear, you are now a member of the finest bbq society on plant earth. Welcome from Texas !!!

I began grilling with a shoe box size hibachi grill on my college dorm’s patio. Since then I’ve acquired thousand more in cookers and accessories. After all that, it’s hard to beat a well grilled hibachi steak !!

Comment

Please, forgive my previous oversight, an brevity:

In answer to yer original question,
              ...would like to know what everyone started with?
              I started round pits in th ground, an outdoor campfires, so I'm still learnin, everyday!

I'm not even nowhere close to closin in on it, or catchin up, but I'm still tryin to run th Good Race, til these ol legs won't carry me no farther.
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 7, 2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                I remain a humble man; it was beaten into me, from birth. EdF brother
                There is no hole in my soul that needs to be filled by self aggrandizin...
                Smoke On!

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I was teasing, Bro! (And also saying, you're a man of modesty)!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                We Good, Brother! I knowed ya was, but want yall to unnerstand me.

Some days, I git lucky, can cook summat good.
                I'm at peace with that.
                Mebbe, next time, I'll do better, especial with all yall to guide me!
                It's why I LOVE this place!
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 7, 2018, 06:01 PM.

Welcome to the pit!
              Cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Huntsville, Alabama! Sounds like you want to feed a crowd! For parties of 40 or more I would looking at an offset or a large pelllet smoker. Where you go from there depends on your budget and preferred fuel. Something else to consider as a starting smoker might be the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC).
                Last edited by jfmorris; July 7, 2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Kase
                  Kase commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you like the pellet?

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kase My budget has not allowed for a pellet smoker just yet - I’m using wood and charcoal. When I get two weddings and college tuition behind me I am looking at a Rectec 700 or Yoder 640. Maybe just a Gorilla Silverbac if I want to save money. Lots here use and like their pellet smokers, and it’s more hands off than wood or charcoal.

"40 people love butts, ribs, chicken and fish to smoke!!"

Wow, if you're cooking for that many people and offering most, or all of those proteins in one meal, you might want to consider multiple cookers. I'd look into maybe two Pit Barrel Cookers (PBC's, each costing $299 delivered to your door, and a kettle (22" minimum; 26" ideal size (and can be found for $299, too)). That would put your total cost outlay for everything except accessories and gadgets (we all need accessories and gadgets) at nearly $1000. That's not far off from what you'd pay for a large pellet smoker should you decide to go that way.

You have lots of fun decisions to make ...

BTW, I suggested 2 PBC's so you could have them running at temps most suitable for what you're cooking ... 350-375 for poultry and 275-300 for butts and ribs. The kettle would be perfect for anything else imaginable (including those fish) ... and somebody's always going to want burgers and dogs.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kase the suggestion by MBMorgan would work well in keeping with not wanting to spend too much time tending a fire. In addition to low budget, it would be a space saver.

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I second this emotion. It’s almost brilliant. MB’s idea of cooking space is spot on. Especially with the 26 Weber & a SnS combined w/2 PBCs. You could cook up a storm.

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  FireMan - "almost brilliant" ??? What ???? Where’s the indignant emoji?????

What is everyone's favorite brand of pellet smoker?

Comment

• smokinsteve
                  smokinsteve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very pleased with my Rec Tec. Amazing customer service! We had seen another brand on display at a local mall, but it looked kinda spindly. Found Rec Tec through research and discovered they are in Augusta. For what I was going to spend, it was necessary to take a drive and see it, feel it, etc. It might be worth an excursion to check it out.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here