Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oskaar lighting up the grill in the PIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oskaar lighting up the grill in the PIT

Howdy all, I'm Oskaar from Anaheim, CA in scenic Orange County, So Cal!

I'm Running a Texas smoker and a half configured as below:

1.5 55 gal thick oil barrels cut horizontally

Firebox section on left end (not offset)

Hinged lid/hatch over the firebox section

Hinged ash hatch on the firebox section end

Grilling/smoking section has a framed grill inset with two height levels for grilling and searing

I use a charcoal grate on the bottom that I can move closer or further from the meat in order to adjust temperature.

I put the charcoal and wood on one end of the grate and elevate the water pan between the meat and the coals.

I get very nice results and can maintain temperature without adjustments for about 2 hours at a time.

I generally use a deep coal tray for my charcoal which I set on top of the charcoal grate, and I also elevate my water tray to help keep things moist. It's not a high end smoker/grill, but I've managed to learn how to position things that make it really effective for my backyard grilling and smoking. I use those Maverick wireless remote probe and thermometers and love them.

Thanks for a great site with awesome information and great insight. I especially love the science and the way you all use "real-tested" techniques rather than the "we've always done it this way" approach!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Welcome!

Sounds like a really fun rig to work with, PICS!

Comment

I'll be getting some up soon!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Oskaar! That's a lot of detailed info about your cooker, which we like. It also sounds like you're quite well read regarding the AmazingRibs site. When you get a chance, please take a moment to read my "Welcome and Guidelines from the Pit Boss" and "Forum Tips and Techniques" threads located here. You'll especially like Tip #1 which describes how to fill out your signature. Again, Welcome and we look forward to seeing you around!

Comment

Hey there Oskaar. Yeah can't wait to see that rig! : )

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
            Welcome to The Pit Oskaar! That's a lot of detailed info about your cooker, which we like. It also sounds like you're quite well read regarding the AmazingRibs site. When you get a chance, please take a moment to read my "Welcome and Guidelines from the Pit Boss" and "Forum Tips and Techniques" threads located here. You'll especially like Tip #1 which describes how to fill out your signature. Again, Welcome and we look forward to seeing you around!

Thank you for the heads up Pit Boss! I've got the siggy in and am working on some pics of my rig (it's kinda rusty right now because I've been cooking more than painting lately!)

My partner Vicky and I own (her) and manage (me) gotmead.com which is a vbulletin based forum with a Joomla driven main site. Stop on by and say hi, quite a few of us use mead marinades, gazes, reductions, etc in our grilling and smoking endeavors.

Thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to digging into the site in depth.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Comment

Originally posted by Oskaar View Post

Thank you for the heads up Pit Boss! I've got the siggy in and am working on some pics of my rig (it's kinda rusty right now because I've been cooking more than painting lately!)

My partner Vicky and I own (her) and manage (me) gotmead.com which is a vbulletin based forum with a Joomla driven main site. Stop on by and say hi, quite a few of us use mead marinades, gazes, reductions, etc in our grilling and smoking endeavors.

Thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to digging into the site in depth.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar I'll check that out. If you have any VB webmaster tips let me know!

Comment

Ok, so here's the grill, this is an older pic and it's not as clean as it is now, but still very representative. I bought this while I was living in Texas and brought it back. I have to make some repairs/upgrades soon as the bottom is finally starting to go, and as you can see there is rust to be dealt with as well.

I bought this at the Albertson's in Tyler, Texas and unfortunately I didn't buy like 10 of them while I was there. It was about $125 USD in 1991 when I first purchased it and it has paid its way many times over. This is the thick, oil barrel rather than the thin food grade barrel. I'm actually surprised it has lasted this long, cover and all.

The bottom is beginning to go so that's the big project, along with replacing the chimney with a wider taller cylinder. All in all I get a good draw and don't oversmoke the meat to astringency. The biggest issues are losing smoke along the firebox lid (photo where the chimney starter and spices are sitting) and along the front and side closest to the firebox lid. I found links on the site to nomex gaskets so that's next, and when I take care of the issue with the bottom I'll add in some other modifications to ensure that I have a good seal on the lid.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                  Jon Solberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thats a beauty ah!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here