Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Where we're currently being hammered by an ice storm... visions of smoking some pulled pork/brisket/ribs are being put on hold! Ahhh well in a couple of months we'll be complaining that it's too hot...

About myself, I know just enough about grilling/smoking/cooking over fire to make me dangerous; so looking to expand my knowledge and improve my skills. I get the sense that this is the right spot!

I'm currently in possession of an older (12 years or so) Vermont Castings 5 burner gas grill which I'll be replacing soon, along with a poolside 4 burner gas grill (the pool is a fair bit from the house, so we use this mainly for grilling hot dogs and burgers poolside). I've had a cheap water bullet smoker in the past but eventually had to give up and pitch it - it had no way to control airflow at the bottom, just a gap around the charcoal bowl. Oh and I also have a cheap charcoal kettle grill which was purchased last year to use while our home was under renos. I was missing the cooking over fire bit so just needed something to get us through... it was a great reintroduction to the pleasure of cooking over charcoal though!

So this year I'm looking to replace the VC gas grill and add a 'proper' smoker. (Since I ditched the cheap water bullet smoker I've simply been using the grill with some smoker tubes.). I'm leaning (pretty heavily after a bunch of research/contemplation, but hey nothing is set in stone!) to getting a proper water bullet smoker and another gas grill to replace the Vermont Castings. I'm thinking Napolean for both (hey I'm in Canada...) the AS300 smoker, 'cause it's easily portable and I can bring it down to the poolside for the day if needed and can also use it as portable charcoal grill. For the grill it will likely be another 4 or 5 burner with an infrared side 'sizzle zone'. I'm liking this combo 'cause it provides a good 'daily driver' for burgers etc., the infrared option (overrated?), the option to use a rotisserie (which I do enjoy using) and a good smoker. The other option was a higher end pellet grill/smoker or Kamado style grill with a smaller gas grill 'daily driver', but ultimately the desire for a rotisserie and the portability of the smoker won out. Of course I'm willing to hear other options/opinions!

Thanks all
    Last edited by Tbfhski; April 15, 2018, 04:58 PM.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
      Lookin forward to more from ya!

Comment

Hello, from the other side of the lake.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up! Great intro!!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
          • To check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]
          • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

• Tbfhski
            Tbfhski commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Spinaker - noted on all counts.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool! Let us know if you have any questions! Tbfhski

Welcome Tbfhski

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! The ceramic would be a plus for cooking in cold weather. I cook on one, and it could extend your cooking season.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado!

Comment

Howdy from the Great State of Jefferson (Northern California), you've come to the right place.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Hello from Calgary!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here