Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Souther California!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit and to the Southland. Living here has its pros and cons, but cooking outside over fire makes it tolerable on the bad days and heaven on the good ones.

Comment

• DrNoob
      DrNoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said! Thank you!

Welcome from that Great State of Mind...Texas! That was an impressive opening salvo Doc ! Stay focused, you’ll be cookin’ Like a seasoned physician in no time !!

Comment

• DrNoob
      DrNoob commented
      Editing a comment
      HA! Thank you Troutman!

Welcome from Huntsville, Alabama. You’ve come to the right place. Newspaper is not great for starting just a few coals - and steak is not a long slow cook. Next time use parafin starter cubes, and/or just light about 1/2-2/3 a chimney and fill that SNS up. Cook the steak(s) on the indirect side until about 10 below your desired done temp, then move over the coals to sear.

Comment

• DrNoob
      DrNoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect, will do!

Great post! I was born and raised in So Cal. Good grill and accessories. Agree on the Weber starter cubes to light the coals in the SNS. You can always add a partial chimney of hot coals to your unlit ones to get the job done as well.

Comment

• DrNoob
      DrNoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RAGBBQ, I appreciate the help!

Thanks to all who commented. Your warm welcome made my day!

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome Doc. Where in So. Cal you at? I'm over in La Crescenta.

• DrNoob
      DrNoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Just moved to Long Beach - big auto racing events here this weekend and I am thrilled to be a spectator!

This is probably awfully inane for most readers of this forum, but I followed some of the aforementioned advice with excellent results! Here is the inverted chimney and Weber starter cube working as intended.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	inverted chimney.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	482252

Once I got just a few briquets going, the temperature was much easier to control and more importantly I wasn't obsessing over controlling it!!

Name:	telemetry data is benign.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	482253
    Telemetry data was WNL (for the moment this photo was taken). And after that, I didn't stress too much, I promise.
    WNL = within normal limits in medical speak.
    Or perhaps "We Never Looked..."

After I got up to a reasonable temp, it was searing time.

Name:	umami searing.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	482254

And finally, my rendition of the Double Whammy Umami Burger
    Umami is the Japanese word for "savory" or "delicious." In addition to the familiar sweet, sour, salty, and bitter flavors, umami is the deep satisfying flavor of cured meat, mushrooms, and aged cheese. Taste it in this hamburger recipe featuring umami mayonnaise.

with my wife's prep-work for the accoutrements and side dishes including oven fries and blackened shashito peppers plus a lovely Tank 7 farmhouse ale.

Name:	meal2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	482255
    Thanks for your advice, encouragement, and again the warm welcome!

Best wishes,
    DrNoob

Comment

• DrNoob
      DrNoob commented
      Editing a comment
      My ongoing focus will be to work on timing. This project took about 3 times as long as I had projected...

I think you needed to get the flame more towards center in the chimney. It looks a liiiittttle off.😎

Comment

• DrNoob
      DrNoob commented
      Editing a comment
      On it!

Nice work my friend. Way to break in the pit! I like burgers too, they are delicious.

just wait. So you'll be so confident that you'll start drinking before you light the coals. Then see how long it takes. Or maybe you did?

I had an office at cherry and willow. Used to do a Long Island for lunch sometimes at Curlys on the corner. Old dive place. I'm not sure if it's still there.

Nice work

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here