Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josh in PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josh in PA

I'm a married dude with two young boys (2 and 4). I'm currently in the Army and, thus, get moved around quite a bit. I've been in Alaska, Missouri, New York, and now Pennsylvania. Up in the North, it gets a little difficult to find good que, though I've heard there's a really good one in town (it's all relative up here). I'm originally from Mississippi, which is where my love of BBQ was born. Mississippi is a great "tweener" state for BBQ, since we just steal the best from everyone else.
    I've been BBQ'ing for about 10 years, but not very well. My wife got me a Weber Summit gas grill for my birthday (I thought LP would be easier to regulate in the cold) along with a copy of "Weber's Way to Grill." Both of those purchases quickly resulted in another purchase - the Weber Performer charcoal grill. I relied heavily on my Weber Bible, and recorded episodes of Steven Raichlen's BBQ University on PBS. That was all good enough until I was searching for a great smoked turkey recipe last Thanksgiving (which was, by far, the best turkey I've ever eaten), which is how I ended up here. Now, I'm pretty sure I spend most of my weekends on this site trying new stuff. My two boys would eat the Simon and Garfunkle chicken every meal if they could, and my wife would do the same with the last meal ribs (she's a keeper).
    For now, I'm rocking the smokenator in my Weber kettle, but I'd like to advance to a smoking specific grill soon. Most likely a Weber. I kind of have a thing for them at this point.
    I also tell everyone I know about this site. It's almost creepy.

Josh welcome to the forum and thank you for your service (9 year USAF veteran here). We like creepy when it comes to spreading the love for the website. Keep on creepin. Kick back and relax for a while

What are you doin in PA?

Comment

I work at the War College in Carlisle (for the year). The Army will send me somewhere else next year, just not sure where yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Jobo View Post
        I work at the War College in Carlisle (for the year). The Army will send me somewhere else next year, just not sure where yet.

You Airborne? I dropped many a troop in my C-130 Navigator days.

Comment

I think the official term would be - "5 jump chump"

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Jobo View Post
            I think the official term would be - "5 jump chump"

Bahaha, yes that's the term. Back in the day (Party like it's 1999 era) I flew jump training missions at Fort Benning in Georgia.

Let's set the stage. It's Fort Benning. You've got jumpers lined up by the hundreds in a jump readiness hangar sitting on benches. They've been training for a week on how to jump, but up to this point have never jumped and haven't been close to the airplanes. They are loaded down with their parachute and jump gear. They're watching George C. Scott on a movie screen walking back and forth in front of a giant American Flag. The movie is Patton and it's the scene where' Patton is getting the troops all pumped up. While the movie is going VERY loud prop airplanes are taxiing up to the hangar in the background. the steady thrum of the props
            can be felt as much as heard by the jumpers. Things are starting to get real. Planes shut down, we (aircrew) walk in, SILENCE. Hundred of jumpers just staring at me and the rest of the aircrew with eyes as big as saucers. I'll never forget those looks. Priceless.

That's also the week I dropped a two star general in the trees. I'll save that for another day though.

Sry I'll stop talking military stuff now. I hope to see you around the rest of the forum!

Pit Boss

Comment

Good to meet you SJ!

130's rock by the way...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here