Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Connoisseur from DFW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Connoisseur from DFW

I love BBQ and being from Texas I am fortunate to have a lot of good BBQ around to choose from. I never wanted a gas grill, and I didn't like the taste of charcoal so I never was interested in getting one. I knew nothing about "lump charcoal". Then I found out about ceramic grills that also double as a smoker, and though I could save money if I made my own bbq. It took about 4 years to convince my wife and went from selling a house to moving to an apartment and buying another house before I could own one but I've had it since September and try to cook every weekend I can. This place has been the most helpful with my learning since it explains the science behind everything and it's not just someone's opinion. So glad to be a part of it. Looking forward to learning from everyone here.

Welcome to the pit! There's lots to learn and share here. Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome from a fellow Texan. Sorry to hear about your disdain for charcoal, perhaps reading some of Meathead's articles on the subject may change your mind. Having a ceramic cooker will require either briquettes or lump charcoal so I'm sure you will be surprised at the results. Good luck, looking forward to your posts here !!

Comment

• jstjohn83
        jstjohn83 commented
        Editing a comment
        Im wondering if it was the chemicals from the lighter fluid? I've been using lump charcoal and have none of that taste.

• jstjohn83
        jstjohn83 commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually have a bison airlighter and it works wonders. My food tastes good, it's other people that I have to worry about. No one on here I would imagine, nor on the KJ group I'm in. This was more an observation I made as a kid growing up. Now I know there are better ways to grill to not have flavors added

jstjohn83, Welcome to the "PIT CLUB"❗️
      You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.❗️
      Attendance and Participation are Mandatory❗️
      Enjoy the "PIT CLUB"‼️
      Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome jstjohn83

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Huntsville, Alabama!

I think you must have gotten a bad taste for charcoal (pun intended).due to use of lighter fluid or instant light charcoal at some time in the past. Once it is lighted and ready to cook on, there is little smoke and a charcoal fire (lump or briquet) is little different than a wood fire that has burned down to embers, since that is what it is. The way to start ANY charcoal properly is using a chimney in my opinion. I gave up on lighter fluid many years ago.

Now, cooking low and slow on your Kamado using various techniques outlined here, where charcoal is igniting slowly throughout the cook, you will get some smoke flavor, but again - I've never had charcoal produce off flavors in meat during a long low and slow cook either.

Comment

• jstjohn83
            jstjohn83 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yessir I'm sure that was it. I have had no problems with flavors or anything when using lump charcoal. Just a bit too much smoke once, but still learning.

Welcome jstjohn83 from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. Great site for fun and learning at the same time.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
                • To check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]
                • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great to hear. Thanks! jstjohn83

• jstjohn83
                  jstjohn83 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It mentioned to put your equipment in your signature, but I have been looking at other posts and notice that most do not mention their equipment anywhere. I don't even see mine listed anywhere. Is that a feature that was removed or maybe is still in process?

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some people simply choose not to fill it out at all. But many do. For example, everyone on this page, except Dan, has their signature filled out. If you are not seeing theirs, let me know. You have to hover your cursor over the little pen tab next to to the green dot in the lower left. jstjohn83

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

jstjohn83 You can see mine here. Please let me know if this does not come up on your screen when you hover over the small pen in the lower left.
                  Thanks!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 3.47.44 PM.png
Views:	168
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	469911

Comment

• jstjohn83
                    jstjohn83 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome! I see it now.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good deal! Glad we got that sorted out! jstjohn83

Welcome aboard. There is an enormous amount of info in the vaults of AR. Just browsing will get it to ya or ask. Eat good and have fun!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                    Glad ya joined us here, lookin forward to more!

Comment

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here