Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Connoisseur from DFW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonB
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Great to hear. Thanks! jstjohn83

• jstjohn83
    commented on 's reply
    First thing I did

• Spinaker
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
    • To check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]
    • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Leave a comment:

• jgreen
    replied
    Welcome from Winnipeg. Great site for fun and learning at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• jstjohn83
    commented on 's reply
    Yessir I'm sure that was it. I have had no problems with flavors or anything when using lump charcoal. Just a bit too much smoke once, but still learning.

• jstjohn83
    commented on 's reply
    I actually have a bison airlighter and it works wonders. My food tastes good, it's other people that I have to worry about. No one on here I would imagine, nor on the KJ group I'm in. This was more an observation I made as a kid growing up. Now I know there are better ways to grill to not have flavors added

• Nate
    replied
    Welcome from Indiana

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Welcome jstjohn83 from Minnesota.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit from Huntsville, Alabama!

I think you must have gotten a bad taste for charcoal (pun intended).due to use of lighter fluid or instant light charcoal at some time in the past. Once it is lighted and ready to cook on, there is little smoke and a charcoal fire (lump or briquet) is little different than a wood fire that has burned down to embers, since that is what it is. The way to start ANY charcoal properly is using a chimney in my opinion. I gave up on lighter fluid many years ago.

Now, cooking low and slow on your Kamado using various techniques outlined here, where charcoal is igniting slowly throughout the cook, you will get some smoke flavor, but again - I've never had charcoal produce off flavors in meat during a long low and slow cook either.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Welcome jstjohn83

Leave a comment:

• Danjohnston949
    replied
    jstjohn83, Welcome to the "PIT CLUB"❗️
    You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.❗️
    Attendance and Participation are Mandatory❗️
    Enjoy the "PIT CLUB"‼️
    Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Leave a comment:

• jstjohn83
    commented on 's reply
    Im wondering if it was the chemicals from the lighter fluid? I've been using lump charcoal and have none of that taste.

• Troutman
    replied
    Welcome from a fellow Texan. Sorry to hear about your disdain for charcoal, perhaps reading some of Meathead's articles on the subject may change your mind. Having a ceramic cooker will require either briquettes or lump charcoal so I'm sure you will be surprised at the results. Good luck, looking forward to your posts here !!

Leave a comment:

• kamadoRob
    replied
    Welcome to the pit! There's lots to learn and share here. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here