Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm In, from Houston...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm In, from Houston...

Another Houston guy here. I've been "grilling" 3-4x's a week for the last 10 years. I thought I knew a lot about grilling because my steak and chicken tasted better than that from a restaurant. After 5 or 6 burger bond fires and 8+ years of active duty my Weber gas grill was replaced by an MHP grill. After fighting with the settings of the MHP and trying to get the temperatures and cooking correct, I started reading more on grilling. That led me to the Meathead book and that led me to this forum.

When I first read the book it says "...sadly, neither do most modern backyard cooks, who throw meals into the sacrificial pyre and are doomed to serve carbon-coated chicken wings and hockey-puck burgers..." Whoa, you hooked me in at hello....

Using what I've learned over the last few weeks (using a thermometer, indirect cooking, lower heat, etc) my steaks have gone from good to great with a just a few minor but critical modifications. My 10 years of previous experience was basically "throwing meals in to the sacrificial pyre..." We're on the right course now!

As I sit here typing this, I've taken the day off from work and am waiting patiently for my primo oval XL to be delivered sometime today from a local dealer. Though I've read and learned so much over the last few weeks, I still have so many questions. More importantly, I'm ready to try some of this stuff I've learned and start experimenting.

I used to sit and wonder why my friends would spend all day on the weekend sitting around the pit. While the food was good the "wasted day" hardly seemed worth it. Now I'm starting to get it and I can't wait to "waste" this 3-day weekend I have sitting around the pit.

Hey brother, welcome from the Katy area. BTW you're gonna love that Primo. Show us some pics after you get some cooks under your belt !!!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you and the new coooker. Heck, show us the pics when it gets there!!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
        • Check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]
        • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

Hello from Montana, I am also new to the forum, Welcome

Comment

Hello and welcome from Colorado!

Comment

Welcome to the pit! Now that was one of the better intros I've read. Particularly about your experiences, and if I may, 'enlightenment'. It sure helps that you bought one of the best ceramic grills out there. The Primo Oval will not disappoint, I guarantee you that. Just let us know when you have any questions, we're all here to help. And share photos of your cooks!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up!

Also, it's very important that you:[LIST][*]Check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab.
                Done

Comment

Thank you all. I do have one silly question....

Temperature wise when indirect cooking, do I put my probe in the air around the area of where the meat will be or is okay to let it rest on the grid?

Comment

• jgreen
                    jgreen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At least an inch, two is better, so you are not getting a "meat shadow " reading from the colder meat

Probe should be in the area where your meat will be, yes. But get it up off the grate. Use the clip that came with it or stick the probe through a small ball of foil.

Also, keep probe at least 2 to 3 inches away from the meat.

Comment

• donsut
                    donsut commented
                    Editing a comment
                    your foil trick was perfect. I've been using it all weekend. I even made some little triangular stands out of aluminum foil. excellent idea, thank you!

Welcome from Winnipeg.

Comment

Welcome from the Denver area ...

Comment

Well, it's like some of the Buddhists say: you need to do the purification exercises to make yourself ready for recognition of the true nature of BBQ. And the path to enlightenment continues after that, but it's all different!

Enjoy that Primo, and don't skip the subforum threads on Ceramic cookers. Look especially for the one on the "smoke pot".

And if you're interested in a book on Kamado techniques, check out The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook: Recipes and Techniques for the World's Best Barbecue .

Some folks complain it's short on recipes (I suppose it is), but it's a manual to your new tool and what you can do with it. I even learned a few new ones with 15+ years of kamado cooking behind me.

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome donsut

Comment

Originally posted by EdF View Post

Enjoy that Primo, and don't skip the subforum threads on Ceramic cookers. Look especially for the one on the "smoke pot".

And if you're interested in a book on Kamado techniques, check out The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook: Recipes and Techniques for the World's Best Barbecue .

Will do..

I'll check that book out next. I did get and read "Hot Coals: A User's Guide to Mastering Your Kamado Grill". This was a good set of instructions for how to use the Komado.

With all the stuff I've read and videos I've watched I'm ready to start applying this knowledge and building some actual experience. Alas, I'm still waiting on the guys to deliver my Primo....

Comment

• EdF
                            EdF commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You're going to be happy!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here