Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello From Finland - Poppamies sends greetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Welcome aboard! Sounds like us rookies will benefit from your experiences.

Leave a comment:

• Poppamies
    replied
    I didn't take any pics from this, it's only "R&D" to measure the behaviour of the meat compared from what i have read and heard. The result as i expected was that the one i covered air tight with foil after 2,5 hours of smoking didn't encounter any "stall" during the cooking and finished after 10,5 hours. Weight loss for this one was 26%.

The uncovered one that i moistened every ~1,5 hours took 16 hours. Weight loss was 31%.

The weight loss is not that big, especially when mixed with bbq sauce afterwards but there was a significant difference in the taste and some in the texture of the bark. Both got the same amount of smoke ( the other one maybe little bit more from the "after smoke") but probably the moistening made some difference on the taste. I used cola.

After shredding the meat and mixing with bbq sauce there wasn't really difference in the taste. covered one is juicier.

I did interesting test while smoking brisket in -20 celsius. I used Bradley electrical smoker because it has better insulation. Weber i could not use in that temperature because wind blows it cold, even with 70 brickets i could not heat the upper part of the smoker more than 70 celsius

Anyway, i always thought that even the bradley could not do it but it really has a good insulation. Check the graph, it shows that it's struggling to keep the temperature but manages somehow. However, maybe because of the varying heat the brisket lost 50% of it's weight. What's your experience on weight loss? It was uncovered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	graph-web.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	49089

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Welcome Poppamies! Got any thoughts/pics of that cook you were talking about in your first post?

Leave a comment:

• W.A.
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome

• BBQLipscken
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit Marko! The festival looks interesting!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    It's New Year's Eve in Finland too? Amazing! (just joking)

Leave a comment:

• Poppamies
    replied
    Hey all! Thank you for the warm welcome! our site is www.chilifest.fi for the festival and www.poppamies.fi is my company. Here is a "after movie" of the festival:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mdUf_10sQ . It's in Finnish, sorry for that
    It was firstly found on chillies alone but now 2014 we had some smokers and local sausage companies, street food, restaurants etc in the show. Next year a lot more BBQ.

I'm looking forward to comment on posts and to have feedback for my own topics. Cheers and happy new year to ya all!

Marko

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    replied
    Welcome Marko. Sounds like you'll have a lot of interesting info to share. Looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Welcome, interested in hearing about some of your local recipes.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Hey Poppamies, Welcome. Does your festival have a website? I would love to check that out.

edit:

Is this your company's site?

POPPAMIES - KASTIKKEET JA MAUSTEET Poppamies on suomalainen mausteyritys, joka luo vahvoja makuja ruoanlaittoon! Poppamies on tunnettu erityisesti chili- ja grillikastikkeistaan. TSEKKAA UUDET TEXMEX-TUOTTEET! TILAA POPPAPOSTI! Poppaposti on Poppamiehen oma uutiskirje, jossa me tullaan

Very cool stuff.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 31, 2014, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ozric
    replied
    Welcome, Marko!

I have been enjoying, once again, the IIHF World Junior Championship, this year from Montreal/Toronto. Finland look excellent. We'll see how close you come to repeating as World Junior hockey champs!

And...

The tournament is in Finland next year! Wish I were there!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Welcome Marko! Glad to be making more friends from Europe! You will enjoy The Pit, we have a great (& quickly growing) international community here offering many perspectives. More importantly, we all can come together to share, learn, and brag a little in the process!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    Hey Marko... glad to have you. I look forward to your posts.

Leave a comment:

• Deuce
    replied
    Hi Marko, welcome to the Pit

Leave a comment:

• HC in SC
    replied
    Right on - a big welcome from the Charleston, SC area!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here