Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Jowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Jowl

New member as of this month, spend a lot of time reading all the excellent ideas and recipes. Thanks I have fresh jowl and wondering if any one has an idea for the smoker. Thanks

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, I've never cooked a jowl, but someone will be along in a bit to help.

Comment

Welcome Skin13

Comment

I know you can fry it & cook it with beans, but have no clue of curing it or smokin. Welcome aboard, eat good and have fun!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana. I’m sure Huskee or Spinaker will be along to also give you the official club welcome.

anxious to hear what others may end up saying about the jowl.

Comment

Black-eyed peas, collard greens and hog jowl are New Years traditions in the south. The only way I've ever seen hog jowl is cured (eg. hog jowl bacon). It's used to season the peas and greens and the rest is fried like regular bacon. We had a couple of store bought jowls (cured) last month and mostly it was used like "regular" bacon with eggs and toast and/or bacon cheeseburgers. Anyway, you could cure it using Meathead's bacon recipe.
            Last edited by johnec00; February 24, 2018, 11:59 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.

Comment

Welcome to the pit! I’ve only done beef cheeks. However, if they are similar (which they ought to be) I’d smoke them low n slow for a looong time. Wrap during the stall and braise them until finished (internal temp 203 deg F) or until the meat falls apart, whatever comes first.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Guanciale - it's the bomb! Like bacon, but the fat is "creamier". It's the original meat in fettuccine carbonara. Well worth the wait while it's curing. http://www.onetomato-twotomato.com/2...ciale-at-home/

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  it is also AWESOME to use instead of bacon or pancetta in a bolgense ragu (guanciale that is). either make some black eyed peas, mustard greens, or guanciale. those are my top 3 choices. I would lean towards the Guanciale like EdF said, as hocks are easy to get and my go to for the hoppin johns and greens.
                  Last edited by texastweeter; February 25, 2018, 10:28 AM.

Welcome to The Pit from Minnesota. Sorry I can't help much on the Jowl---all I can think of is low n slow and wrap at the end--see how it turns out for the first time trying it??

Comment

As great as pork belly bacon is, jowl bacon is even better!

Comment

I've got several jowls in my freezer...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! We are really happy to have you here.

I have yet to make Jowel. Although, Jowel bacon sounds insanely good. Steve R.

Comment

Never tried jowl either, but welcome from Winnipeg.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E1824[1].JPG
Views:	128
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	459941

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. So I decided to cook the Jowl, low and slow 225°. There is a lot of fat on these, 50/50, so after the cook we just separated the meat from the fat. Man, that is some great pork! Little more work, but the meat was worth it. I had a picnic ham to accompany it, so after the jowl appetizer we had pulled pork. Big fan of Mule Foot Hogs!

Comment

Welcome and great pics!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here